Is your fridge ready for the big game?
FORT LEE, Va. (Jan. 14, 2016) – Every host has a checklist as they plan for their football party: big-screen television, check; plenty of seating, yes. Food? Let's face it, next to the TV, it's not a party if the food is lacking.
Military members and their families can check that box and save big in the process by shopping for their party menu at their commissary, said Tracie Russ, the Defense Commissary Agency's director of sales.
"Your commissary is ready to hook you up with traditional football party favorites such as chicken wings, veggie trays, pizzas, sodas, water, snacks, ingredients for that special dip and more," Russ said. "And, the best part is that you'll save money, and that'll make the big game so much sweeter."
With the football playoffs in full swing, commissary patrons will see displays in their stores highlighting the promotions and sales for those big game football parties. Customers should check their local commissary for details on dates and times of the following promotions:
- Free groceries for a year. Patrons who purchase any four Kellogg's, Keebler, Kashi or Cheez-It products (4.4 oz. or larger, any flavor, mix or match), with their Commissary Rewards Card will be automatically entered for a chance to win free groceries for a year (awarded as $6,000 in Commissary Gift Cards). The contest runs from Jan. 15 to Feb. 15.
- Party platters. From Jan. 24 to Feb. 7, stateside commissaries are featuring 15 percent off wing and sub party platters and "Big Game" select cakes. This offer is not available in overseas commissaries.
- Buy, Snap, Score. From Jan. 25 to Feb. 7, Sabra & Stacy's will be running the following promotion in stateside commissaries: With the purchase of any two Sabra products (8 ounces or larger) and any two Stacy's Pita Chips (6.7 ounces or larger), patrons qualify for a $5 Visa card after they snap a photo of their receipt and text "DIP" to "811811" to submit the photo of receipt. Patrons will see in-store demos and a combo coupon for $1.50 off with the purchase of any one bag of Stacy's and any one Sabra Hummus, Guacamole or Salsa.
- Tyson Chicken for the Big Game! From Jan. 16 to Feb. 15, Tyson Chicken is offering significant discounts in stateside stores on leg quarters, thighs, drumsticks, boneless breast tenders and bone-in split breasts in time for all the major football playoff action. Tyson will also feature two-day demos on its Tyson Crafted Creations marinated meats line and its Fresh Meal Kits every weekend through January and up to Super Bowl weekend. In addition, they will also offer $2-off instant redeemable coupons on all of their special sale items.
- Kraft Foods Group – "Score Big with Kraft." Through Jan. 24, Kraft Heinz is offering tear pad coupons and giving away $50 gift certificates stateside and $25 gift cards overseas. Participating brands: Kraft Natural Cheese, Jell-O puddings and gelatins, Breakstone's and Knudsen sour cream, Kraft dinners, Kraft salad dressings, Kraft BBQ Sauce, Oscar Mayer bacon and hot dogs, Philadelphia cream cheese, Maxwell House coffee, Planters Peanuts, Taco Bell, Cool Whip and Grey Poupon mustard.
- "Guac Nation." From Jan. 25 to Feb. 7, Avocados from Mexico and Old El Paso will be offering tear pad coupons – $1 off on the purchase of one Old El Paso Kit/Shells and two Avocados from Mexico. Two "Game Day" recipes – Chicken Sriracha Avocado Tacos and Mini 7 Layer Dips – are also included with store displays.
- Super savings. Commissaries also have savings on Kraft Cheese Slices; Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (boxed varieties); Hormel Chili (assorted sizes); Hormel Microwavable Meals (assorted flavors); 59-ounce Simply Juice; Wonderful Pistachios and Almonds; Snickers and Skittles; Ruffles Potato Chips (9- and 9.5-oz. bags); Doritos Tortilla Chips (10.5-oz. bags); TGIF Buffalo Wings; Rainbow Shrimp; Farm Rich Mozzarella Sticks; El Monterey Taquitos; Freschetta Pizzas; Perdue Chicken Wingettes and Boneless Thigh Filets (Jan. 16-Feb. 15); Perdue Chicken Jumbo Wings (Feb. 1-15); Foster Farms Chicken Thighs, Drumsticks and Boneless Breast Filets (Jan. 16-Feb. 15); Always Tender Tenderloins (Teriyaki, Apple Bourbon and Peppercorn); soft drinks, water and more.
"Your team may not win it all, but you'll still come out on top if you shop the commissary," Russ said. "Your benefit offers quality food at a significant savings – a winning combination that's always worth the trip."
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit and make no profit on the sale of merchandise. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. By shopping regularly in the commissary, patrons save thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America's military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.
Kevin L. Robinson
(804) 734-8000, Ext. 4-8773