Salmon and Italian Pasta
- 4 - 4 oz frozen salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime
- 12 oz whole grain pasta (Rotini or Penne)
- 6 oz can of sliced olives
- 1 red onion
- 1 English cucumber
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup light Italian dressing
- 4 oz preferred cheese
- Preheat oven to 400˚
- Begin by thawing 4 frozen salmon fillets (approximately 4 oz. each) in the package by microwaving on low for 1-2 minutes. Once nearly thawed, drain and discard the liquid. Note: If using thawed/fresh fillets, then begin with step 2.
- Lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil and place the salmon fillets in the dish.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp. olive oil with the juice and zest of one lime; then, use this mixture to coat the top of each fillet.
- Lightly season each fillet with a dash of salt and pepper; cover pan with foil; then, begin baking the fish. (Total cooking time will be roughly 15-18 minutes.)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook 12 oz. of whole grain pasta (Rotini or Penne), according to package directions.
- While the fish and pasta are cooking, drain and rinse a 6 oz. can of sliced olives; wash and prepare the produce by dicing ½ of a red onion, slicing 1 English cucumber, and cutting 10-15 cherry tomatoes in half.
- Remove fish from oven and quickly drain the pasta.
- In a bowl toss the drained pasta with 1 cup of light Italian dressing, the vegetables and the olives; then, mix in about 4 oz. of your favorite cheese, cut into bite sized chunks.
- Serve by placing one fillet and ¼ of the pasta mixture on each plate.
- Sneak an extra serving of vegetables in by using pasta made from veggies.
- 2-3 tbsp. of bottle of lime juice can be used in place of fresh lime.
- Double the pasta salad recipe and serve it at your next pool or office party.
- Try adding additional veggies, like raw asparagus and/or broccoli and using different types of cheese.
- Make a hearty salad by topping a bed of greens with ½ cup of the pasta salad and adding 2 oz. of your favorite cooked lean protein, like grilled chicken breast.