- 1 small to medium head green cabbage
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (substitute lower fat versions if desired)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Remove tough outer leaves from head of cabbage. Cut head in half and remove core and any tough inner leaves at the core end.
- Shred the cabbage by placing half the head, cut side down, on the cutting board and slicing very thinly with a heavy sharp knife.
- Cut the resulting slices crosswise into 1/2 - inch pieces. A French chef's knife works best for this, if you have one.
- Place shredded cabbage into a large bowl, sprinkle with sugar and salt, and toss lightly.
- Stir in mayonnaise and vinegar until well combined. Let slaw sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, then stir again before serving. (Serves 8 to 10)