Huevos, Beans & Tortillas with Mole Sauce
- 2 10 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 4oz. can of diced green chiles (drained)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 1 garlic clove
- 4 8-in. flour tortillas
- 16 oz. can of fat free refried beans
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. of chili powder
- Empty 2- 10 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies and 1- 4 oz. can of diced green chilies (drained) into a blender or food processor. Add 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, or 1 garlic clove, and 1 tsp. of chili powder (optional). Blend the mixture using the “chop” or “mix” setting until it is slightly chunky. This should only take about 5-10 seconds.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and then place on it 4- 8 inch flour tortillas. Open a 16 oz. can of fat-free refried beans. Top each tortilla with a spoonful of beans and then spread the beans evenly. Top the beans with another flour tortilla and then finish off with another layer of beans. Place the layered tortillas in the oven for 6-8 minutes or until the bottoms begin to crisp and the beans are heated through.
- While the tortillas are in the oven, heat a frying pan to medium high heat, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Quickly, crack 4 eggs into the pan (be careful not to break the yolks) and then quickly add 2 tbsp. of water and 2 tbsp. of the tomato mixture; cover the pan tightly to let the liquid steam the eggs. Cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still a little runny (for about 1 minute). Gently slide the eggs onto a plate. Repeat this process to cook 4 additional eggs. (It’s okay if the eggs are stuck together because they can be easily divided by cutting.)
- Remove the tortillas from the oven.
- In a microwave safe dish, warm the remaining tomato mixture on high for 1 minute and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine 1/4th cup of dark chocolate chips, ¼ cup of chicken broth, and 1/4th tsp. of chili powder. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted.
- To serve, place 1 tortilla on a plate, topped with ½ cup of the tomato and green chilies sauce, and 2 eggs. Drizzle 1-2 tbsp. of the chocolate mole sauce on top of the eggs. Serve a garden salad or a bowl of fruit topped with yogurt on the side.