Tuna Bahn Mi
- 4 oz. package of shredded carrots
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 tbsp. canned chipotle peppers (minced)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 5 oz. cans of tuna (drained and flaked)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies (drained)
- 2 1/2 tbsp. Asian fish sauce
- 12 in. French baguette
- In a medium sized bowl, place 4 oz. of packaged, shredded carrots. Dissolve 2 tsp. of sugar in 2 tbsp. of vinegar and then pour over the carrots. Mix well and set aside so the flavors can blend.
- Mince 2 tbsp. of canned chipotle peppers and place them in small bowl. Mix in ½ cup of mayonnaise.
- In a medium bowl, mix 3-5 oz. cans of tuna (drained and flaked), ¼ cup of lime juice (freshly squeezed), 1-4 oz. can of drained diced green chilies and 2½ tbsp. Asian fish sauce.
- Cut lengthwise 1-12 inch deli style French baguette (preferably whole wheat/grain) in half. Spread the chipotle mayonnaise on both sides. Top 1 side with the tuna mixture and then lightly pepper. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. of chopped fresh cilantro (optional) over the tuna and then top with the carrot mixture (drained); and, then place the other ½ of the baguette back on top.
- Serve each plate with 1/4th of the sandwich alongside a large piece of melon or 1 fresh peach (sliced) topped with ½ cup of nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt.
Tips: The tuna mix works well in wraps too. Try serving them chilled or even warmed a bit in the microwave.