Reser's recalls refrigerated salads
Reser's Fine Foods Inc., is voluntarily recalling various refrigerated salad products because of the possibility of Listeria monocytogenes, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent April 15.
Reser's initiated the recall after it was notified by one of its onion providers that Listeria monocytogenes may be present in one of the onion lots that were used to manufacture the salads.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all of its stores, said Chris Wicker, a public health advisor for DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has a recalled or withdrawn product in its inventory, the product is immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products are affected by this recall:
- Macaroni Salad 16 ounce – UPC: 71117.19007, Lot Expire Date: May 9, 2016, Lot Number: 1605910, Use by Date: May 9, 2016.
- Reser's Potato Salad 3 pounds – UPC: 71117.19300, Lot Expire Date: May 9, 2016, Lot Number: 1605910, Use by Date: May 9, 2016.
- Reser's Macaroni Salad 3 pounds – UPC: 71117.19305, Lot Expire Date: May 9, 2016, Lot Number: 1605910, Use by Date: May 9 and 10, 2016.
The product could have been sold at the following stores:
- Luke Air Force Base, Arizona
- Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, California
- March Air Force Base, California
- Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada
- Miramar Marine Corps Air Station, California
- San Diego Naval Station, California
- Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona
- Imperial Beach Naval Outlying Landing Field, California
- Fort Huachuca, Arizona
- Port Hueneme Naval Construction Battalion Center, California
- Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
- Los Angeles Air Force Base, California
- Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, California
- Edwards Air Force Base, California
- Fort Irwin, California
- Yuma Marine Corps Air Station, Arizona
- North Island Naval Air Station, California
- Barstow Marine Corps Logistic Base, California
- China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station, California
- San Onofre Marine Corps Base, California
- Dugway Proving Ground, Utah
- Yuma Proving Ground, Arizona
- El Centro Naval Air Field, California
Listeria monocytogenes may cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, the frail or elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. Healthy adults may only suffer short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listeria infections may also cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
Customers who purchased any of these products at the commissary should bring them back for a refund.
For additional information and a full list of products affected by this recall please visit the Food and Drug Administration website at fda.gov.
Customers can also contact Reser's Fine Foods by using its customers' hotline at 1-888-257-7913, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST, Saturday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST and Sunday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST.