Better Than Takeout: Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- In a medium sized sauce pan, add 1 cup of uncooked long-grain rice and 2 cups of water. Cook according to package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, crack 2 large eggs in a bowl and season with a little salt and pepper and beat well with a fork. Lightly spray a frying pan that has been heated over medium heat with cooking spray. Add the eggs and cook for about 1 minute. Flip the egg and cook the other side for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Microwave 1 1/2 cup of frozen peas and carrots according to package directions. Set aside when done.
- While the peas and carrots are cooking, quickly peel and devein 1 lb. of raw shrimp. Add 1 tbsp. of sesame oil to a pan and heat over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp. of sesame oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Then add 1 small, chopped onion. Cook for about 2 minutes. Then add 1 medium sliced zucchini and cook or an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked rice to the pan and let the rice cook for 1 minute.
- Cut the egg into strips and add to the pan of rice. Add the cooked peas and carrots, and the cooke shrimp along with 1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce. Gently toss the ingredients allowing for the rice to cooke a little on the bottom for an additional minute.
- Serve 1/4th of the fried rice alongside a large piece of your favorite fruit, topped with a little yogurt.