DeCA adds more store brands to commissary shelves
Commissary store brands are becoming a larger portion of the store inventory with the latest addition of private label products.
The Defense Commissary Agency and its private label supplier, SpartanNash, continue to add more low-cost, national brand equivalents for patrons, said Jennifer Ferrell, DeCA’s private label program manager. As of Feb. 11, DeCA has 467 commissary store brands in its inventory.
“It’s been a fast eight months since we first introduced Freedom’s Choice water and HomeBase trash bags to our stores,” Ferrell said. “Our patrons asked us to add private label to our inventory, and we’re pleased to bring a wide variety for them to enjoy.”
Freedom’s Choice is the commissary store brand name for food items and HomeBase for nonfood items such as paper products and other household items. DeCA’s store brand inventory also includes TopCare products such as first aid supplies, vitamins, over-the-counter medications and beauty care.
The latest deployment of Freedom’s Choice products has more cheese varieties including mozzarella string cheese and Colby Jack stick cheese. There are also a variety of water enhancers in the following flavors: lemonade, concord grape, fruit punch, raspberry lemonade, tangerine, black cherry and strawberry watermelon as well as a variety of sweeteners. Additionally, dry beans will begin to phase into all markets.
On the HomeBase side, DeCA has also added 39-gallon disposable clear trash bags in addition to aluminum foil.
Commissary store brands arrive first to stateside stores and follow about six weeks later overseas.
Ferrell said commissary patrons can look forward to the following Freedom’s Choice launches in the next few months:
- Baking goods including flake coconut, semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, baking soda, corn starch, baking powder and graham cracker pie crusts
- Ricotta cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese
- Two types of dry soup mixes
- Four varieties of pie fillings
- Eight varieties of canned beans
- Six varieties of pourable dressings
- Ketchup including a less sugar, less sodium option
- Mayonnaise including low fat and whipped dressing options
- Mustard including Dijon, spicy brown and yellow varieties
- Peanut butter including creamy, crunchy and honey varieties
- Three varieties of cooking sprays
- Flour including all-purpose bleached, unbleached, and bread flour
- Broth across four different 32-ounce aseptic options
- Canned chunk chicken breast
- Sloppy Joe sauce
- Bag tea
“We remain committed to offering our hard-working patrons low-cost equivalents to national brands that are equal to or lower in price compared to commercial grocery store brands,” Ferrell said. “Our patrons can be confident that our commissary store brands will provide the quality they expect and the savings they deserve.”
You can see a selection of photos of commissary store brands on the DeCA Flickr page .