Sabra hummus recalled over Listeria concerns
Sabra Dipping Co., LLC is voluntarily recalling some of its hummus products after the company identified Listeria monocytogenes at one of its manufacturing facilities but not in tested finished product, according to a recall notice from the Defense Commissary Agency's food safety office sent Nov. 21.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall notice to all its stores, said Richard Stith, the lead consumer safety officer for DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has a recalled product in its inventory, the product is immediately removed from store shelves.
"We have learned that the commissary carries some of the products listed in the recall," Stith said. "The stores are currently pulling those items from the shelves." DeCA food safety officials are monitoring this recall for any updates.
The following products with "best before" dates through Jan. 23, 2017 are affected by this recall:
- Sabra Hummus Classic, 10 ounce: UPC 040822011143
- Sabra Hummus Classic, 17 ounce: UPC 040822017497
- Sabra Hummus Classic with pretzels, 4.56 ounce: UPC 040822011952
- Sabra Hummus Classic, 2 ounce, 6 x 2 ounce (12 x 6pks): UPC 040822342728
- Sabra Hummus Garlic, 10 ounce: UPC 040822011242
- Sabra Hummus Garlic with pretzels, 4.56 ounce: UPC 040822011990
- Sabra Hummus Olive, 10 ounce: UPC 040822011341
- Sabra Hummus Pine Nut, 10 ounce: UPC 040822011747
- Sabra Hummus Pine Nut, 17 ounce: UPC 040822990011
- Sabra Hummus Red Pepper, 10 ounce: UPC 040822011549
- Sabra Hummus Red Pepper, 17 ounce: UPC 040822017503
- Sabra Hummus Red Pepper with pretzels, 4.56 ounce: UPC 040822011969
- Sabra Hummus Supremely Spicy, 10 ounce: UPC 040822011440
- Sabra Hummus Spinach & Artichoke, 10 ounce: UPC 040822027540
Sabra Organic Hummus, Sabra Salsa, Sabra Guacamole and Sabra Greek Yogurt Dips are not affected by this recall.
Customers should return this product to the commissary of purchase for a full refund.
Listeria monocytogenes may cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, the frail or elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. Healthy adults may only suffer short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listeria infections may also cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. The illness caused by these bacteria can take up to 70 days to appear.
For additional information and a full list of products affected by this recall please visit the Food and Drug Administration website at fda.gov.
Questions about this recall can be directed to Sabra Consumer Relations at 866-265-6761 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.