Basic Pita Chips
- 4 (8–inch) pita breads, cut into wedges
- Olive or vegetable oil spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use kitchen shears to cut around the perimeter of each pita bread to yield 2 thin rounds.
- Stack the rounds on top of each other and use a chef's knife to cut them into 6 wedges each.
- Spread the pita wedges, smooth-side down, over 2 rimmed baking sheets. Spray the top of each wedge with oil and then sprinkle with the salt.
- Bake the wedges until they begin to crisp and brown lightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Flip the wedges so their smooth side is up, and bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until chips are fully toasted.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and cool the chips before serving. (Chips can be held in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If necessary, briefly re–crisp in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes before serving.)
Garlic-Herb Pita Chips
Follow the recipe for Basic Pita Chips, mixing 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder and 2 tablespoons fresh minced thyme, basil, or oregano with the salt before sprinkling it over the chips in step 4.
Chili-Spiced Pita Chips
Follow the recipe for Basic Pita Chips, mixing 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne with the salt before sprinkling it over the chips in step 4.
Makes: 48 Chips or 8 Servings