- 1 pound chestnuts in the shell
- Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut an X in the flat side of each chestnut.
- Drop chestnuts into a pot of boiling water; return the water to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat; remove a few nuts at a time and peel off the outer shell and inner papery layers.
- Place peeled whole chestnuts in a large saucepan with 5 cups of water; bring to a boil, and cook, uncovered, until chestnuts can be easily pierced with a thin skewer, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain well.
Chestnuts can now be used as an ingredient in other dishes.