Quick Brunswick Stew with Cornbread
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 15 oz whole kernel corn
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp smoke hickory flavored BBQ sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 lb cooked diced chicken (skin removed)
- Cornbread package
- Cut 2 medium potatoes into 2 inch pieces and place in a microwave safe dish with ½ cup of water and 1 cup of frozen lima beans. Cover and microwave until tender (8-10 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking in a large pot, combine, 15 oz. of whole kernel corn (drained), 28 oz. of diced tomatoes, 8oz. of tomato sauce, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1 tbsp. smoke hickory flavored BBQ sauce (optional), 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, ½ tsp. hot sauce, 1 tsp. minced garlic, and 1 ½ lb. of cooked diced chicken (skin removed).
- Bring the pot to a rapid boil and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Turn down and simmer over for a total of 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the potatoes and lima beans finish cooking, add ½ of the mixture to the simmering pot. Smash the remaining mixture and stir into the pot. (This step helps to thicken the stew.)
- While the stew is simmering, make the corn bread, according to package directions.
- Serve the stew in a bowl alongside a 2 x 2 inch piece of cornbread. Add a little black pepper and salt to taste.
- Consider using shredded pork or shredded beef in place of the chicken.
- This stew is a great use for leftover meat.
- Try replacing ½ the white potatoes with sweet potatoes and microwave as described above.
- Turn the heat up with a little more hot sauce and/or add a bit more tang by adding a tbsp. of apple cider vinegar.