2017 brings more commissary savings, healthy choices
FORT LEE, Va. (Dec. 28, 2016) As the calendar flips to 2017, commissary shoppers can easily resolve to save more and eat healthier by not only taking advantage of special in-store promotions and coupons, but also checking out the Defense Commissary Agency's new Nutrition Guide Program.
"Your commissary is always here to help you eat healthier and also save even more on all your favorite name-brand products," said Tracie Russ, DeCA's director of sales. "Speaking of healthy, football parties can easily take a healthy twist: try tacos with ground turkey or white chicken chili that's just as hearty and spicy as any recipe your mom passed along," Russ said.
Throughout January, DeCA's industry partners, vendors, suppliers and brokers are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substituted events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
- Nutrition Guide Program. Kicking off DeCA-wide this month, the NGP highlights five key nutritional attributes: low sodium, no-added sugar, whole grain, low fat and great source of fiber, and whether the item is organic. The program's catch phrase, "Dietitian Approved! We Did the Work for You!" aptly describes it. The color-coded shelf tags some with "Thumbs Up" designations make it easier for customers to choose products that are right for them and their families. Visit the Nutrition Guide Program page for more information.
- "Changing the Game Together." From Jan. 2-29, shoppers worldwide can buy $30 of participating P&G products and get $5 off of P&G products on their next shopping trip, when they use their Commissary Rewards Card. Qualifying purchases must be made in a single transaction Jan. 2-29. The $5 off digital coupon will be added to your Rewards Card and must be redeemed by Feb. 28. Participating name brands include Bounty, Charmin, Tide, Pampers, Pantene, Oil of Olay, Swiffer, Crest, Gillette and more.
- The Special Olympics. Procter & Gamble's 37th annual "Special Olympics" promotion runs worldwide Jan. 2-29. Look for the high-value coupon booklets in stores and the colorful Special Olympics displays promoting the specially marked P&G products. P&G will make a donation to local Special Olympics Chapters through this promotion.
- Kellogg's Right Start. Commissary patrons visiting stateside stores Jan. 2-15 should look for the Kellogg's "TEXT TO WIN" mass display for a chance win an Xbox One with its new personal fitness feature. There will also be an Xbox One free offer on specially marked promotional packaging. Key Brands in this event include Special K, Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, Corn Pops, Pop-Tarts and Nutri-Grain.
- "Big Game Big Deals Giveaway!" Kraft Heinz Company is ready for the big game. They're offering coupon deals and increased incentives for patrons during the Super Bowl timeframe (Jan. 16 Feb. 12). Nineteen prizes of $500 in commissary gift cards will be given away stateside, and there will be two $500 winners overseas. The online sweepstakes runs Jan. 2 Feb. 5. In-store displays will have entry forms, and no purchase is necessary. Participating brands: Heinz, Ore-Ida, Bagel Bites, Kraft Natural Cheese, Jell-O Puddings and Gelatins, Breakstone's and Knudsen Sour Cream, Kraft Dinners, Kraft Salad Dressings, Kraft BBQ Sauce, Oscar Mayer Bacon and Hot Dogs, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Maxwell House Coffee, Planters Peanuts, Taco Bell, Cool Whip and Grey Poupon.
- Snickers and Skittles "Candy Bowl." The Super Bowl is a top-selling snack occasion second only to Thanksgiving. Commissary patrons can join Team Snickers or Team Skittles. Entrants can win prizes instantly with online activation as they text a picture of their favorite product. There will be a grand prize drawing for season tickets and swag of your favorite NFL team. See in-store displays for more details.
- "Warming Up America." General Mills Progresso presents their annual "souper" soup sale offering discounts and high-value coupons on Progresso soups in addition to online Rewards Card coupons worldwide. The promotion runs through Jan. 24.
"The Defense Commissary Agency sends out New Year's wishes to all of our military shoppers to have a healthy, safe and prosperous 2017," Russ said. "Your commissary is always there for the military and their families year-round, providing the very best savings possible. Your commissary is always worth the trip!"
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit and make no profit on the sale of merchandise. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. By shopping regularly in the commissary, patrons save thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America's military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.
Kevin L. Robinson
(804) 734-8000, Ext. 4-8773