'Back-to-School' savings: Sidewalk sales, sweepstakes, healthy meals take center stage in August
FORT LEE, Va. – Commissary patrons can be on the lookout for “Back-to-School” sales and sweepstakes along with sidewalk sales beginning mid-August with a focus on healthy meals and snacks.
“It’s hard to believe that many of our families are getting ready to go back to school,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director. “When it comes to food for school lunches and snacks, the commissary is your first stop for significant savings. And while you’re there check out the exchange for low prices on school supplies.”
Throughout August, the agency’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Check the end of the aisle for themed items with extra low pricing.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store managers to verify when they will be offering the following sales events:
- Sidewalk sales. The majority of commissaries worldwide will kick off DeCA’s Sidewalk Sales event starting in August and continuing through September. Weather permitting, commissaries will have one event – a two- or three-day outdoor sidewalk weekend sale (a maximum of four days) – offering extra savings including special deals on some case- and club-pack items. Several commissaries will partner with exchanges for certain promotions linked to this event. Patrons are encouraged to check their store’s web page for sale dates and hours and more details. In addition to the case lot formats like those found in commercial club stores, commissary sidewalk events also offer additional “mix and match” packages of similar items in bulk-size cases. This event runs until Sept. 30.
- Freedom’s Choice purified water sale. Commissaries will be offering extra savings on Freedom’s Choice purified water in the first Deal of the Week for August. Promotion runs from Aug. 1 to 4.
- “Back to School Bonanza – Text-to-Win.” Enter for your chance to win a $25 commissary or exchange gift card from MyMilitarySavings.com. Shoppers can only enter the sweepstakes in-store. Look for in-store displays for details on how to enter. Promotion runs from Aug. 1 to Sept. 8.
- Kellogg’s, Keebler, HomeBase – Buy 3/Get 1 Free. Buy any three participating Kellogg’s/Keebler items and get a free commissary brand HomeBase item via a coupon offer valued up to $2.50. Choose from Kellogg’s Special K Cereals, Pringles Grab and Go, Pringles Wavy, Townhouse Crackers, Mother’s Cookies, Famous Amos Cookies, Eggo Pancakes and Eggo Toaster Sticks products. This promotion ends Aug. 4.
- AXE and Unilever “Back To School” DeCA Only Sweepstakes. Enter the Back-to-School Sweepstakes for a chance to win the Ultimate Electronics Grand Prize Package or one of more than 90 other prizes. Prizes include laptops, tablets, portable music players and gift cards. Visit www.operationintouch.com and enter to win. Promotion runs through Sept. 15.
- Commissary beef and pork summer savings. The commissary continues to cut huge deals for grill masters through Sept. 1. Check with your meat department to learn more about these sizzling offers:
- Whole Sub Primal Beef Sold at Cost – customers can save 14% to 26% on sub primal beef. Cut upon request for free
- Healthy Alternative Power Buy Box – Save 29% on 20 pounds of select cuts of lean beef and pork
- Economy Power Buy Box – Save 31% on 15 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
- Summer Tailgate Power Buy Box – Save 37% on 20 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
- Smithfield Military Mobile Sampling tours. For a sixth year, Smithfield is bringing its traveling events to seven military bases in California and Washington. Each base will host an event for five days. These four-hour, outdoor events let commissary patrons sample products, receive coupons and earn a free gift with purchase – a custom-branded thermal grocery bag. To receive the free bag, patrons must purchase either three Eckrich Smoked Sausage, two Nathan’s Beef Franks or two Smithfield Bacon products. Available while supplies last. Check with your commissary customer service center to confirm event participation, dates and times; event dates are subject to change. Scheduled events are McClellan Air Force Base, California, July 31 to Aug 4; and at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington – Fort Lewis Commissary, Aug. 15 to 19, and McChord Air Force Base Commissary, Aug. 28 to Sept. 1.
- Unilever “Kick Off To Savings.” Unilever is launching their first “Kick Off to Savings” event featuring high-value coupons for Hellmann’s/Best Foods, Lipton, Knorr, Breyers, Klondike and Popsicle. Unilever will also award $500 to 40 deserving families to help them pay down their Military Star Card balance. This promotion runs from Aug. 5 to 18.
- General Mills’ “Back to School with Box Tops for Education.” General Mills school fundraising program is back in commissaries worldwide. Each product box top collected is worth 10 cents, and many General Mills items will have double box top value during the month. Patrons will see high-value coupons, in-store product demonstrations and decorative mass displays. This promotion runs from Aug. 5 to Sept. 8.
- Kellogg’s and “Feeding the Reading” Program. Kellogg’s is offering savings on leading back to school brand favorites and free books with qualifying purchases. Visit the Kellogg’s Family Rewards website for details on the free book give away. Promotion runs from Aug. 5 to Sept. 8.
- Kraft Heinz “Back to School and Labor Day Free Groceries” program. Enter for a chance to win one of eight commissary gift cards (six stateside/two overseas) valued at $2,500. Visit the Kraft Heinz website for official rules on how to enter. Promotion starts Aug. 19 and runs through Sept. 22.
- Coleson’s Catch. Save up to 45% on Coleson’s Seafood products during the 20th anniversary of Coleson’s “Big Catch” promotion.
- Free summer BBQ contest. Procter & Gamble is offering military communities a chance to win the grand prize of a family barbecue for the entire military community. Everything offered at this event is free to all military families. Each barbecue will have a host celebrity chef, entertainment, catered food and drinks, games and prizes. Additionally, there will be samples, coupons and recipe cards of some of the name brand products at the event. Check your commissary for program details.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.