Commissaries are all heart for health, Valentine's Day
FORT LEE, Va. (Jan. 26, 2017) – Health awareness, the Super Bowl, and Cupid's holiday take center stage as commissaries showcase extra savings in February.
"Our Nutrition Guide Program makes it easy for you to choose a better lifestyle since we've researched product ingredients and designated key nutrient attributes with color-coded shelf labels for your convenience," said Tracie Russ, the Defense Commissary Agency's director of sales. "Health and wellness is an especially appropriate theme for February when it comes to finding commissary products that fit National Heart Month guidelines."
In addition to Heart Healthy Month, DeCA's industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings through sales promotions relating to February events such as the Super Bowl and Valentine's Day. Check your local commissary for mass displays and giveaways for all of these upcoming events. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs.
Also, the Exclusive Savings page, has more coupons, specials, promotions, sales and healthy recipes. Shoppers can find these ideas on this website along with the Commissary sales flyer, which features discounted items and healthy recipe ideas.
Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
- Touchdown of Savings. From Jan. 30 to Feb. 12, General Mills will kick off its big game promotions with savings on Chex, Old El Paso and more General Mills products. Patrons will see high value in-store coupons, Commissary Rewards Card coupons and other giveaways.
- Free groceries. From Jan. 30 to March 6, patrons who buy any four participating Kellogg's/Keebler products and scan their Commissary Rewards Cards will be automatically entered to win free groceries. Kellogg's will award 12 $500 commissary gift cards to the winners. Additional savings will be available on Kellogg's/Keebler, Kashi and Cheez-it products: cereals and Pop Tarts, Rice Krispies Treats, Chips Deluxe, Pecan Sandies, Cheez-It, Townhouse and Club Crackers.
- Big Game! From Jan. 30 to Feb. 5, the Kraft Heinz Company will offer 21 prizes of $500 in commissary gift cards through an online sweepstakes. See in-store displays for sweepstakes details; no purchase is necessary. Participating brands include: Heinz, Ore-Ida, Bagel Bites, Kraft Natural Cheese, Jell-O Puddings, Breakstone's and Knudsen Sour Cream, Kraft Dinners, Kraft Salad Dressings, Kraft BBQ, Oscar Meyer, Maxwell House, Planters, Cool Whip and more.
- National Hot Breakfast Month. From Jan. 30 to Feb. 12, Quaker Oats will offer in-store product demonstrations and high-value coupons in support of National Hot Breakfast Month.
- During National Canned Food Month in February, Del Monte will hold an in-store mass display promotion. Del Monte will donate up to $50,000 from promotional sales to the Folds of Honor Foundation, which supports spouses and children of U.S. military killed in on duty.
- "Just Add Milk." General Mills will offer this worldwide promotion from Feb. 13 to 26. Patrons will see in-store displays with posters and character cardboard cut-outs, high-value in-store coupons, as well as a premium giveaway.
- "Serving Our Country's Finest." From Feb. 13 to 26, the J. M. Smucker Company will offer deep price reductions worldwide on many of their popular fruit spreads, Hungry Jack breakfast items, Folgers coffee, Dunkin Donuts coffee and Jif peanut butter. Smucker's will donate $10,000 from its promotional sales to Fisher House for the Commissary's Scholarship Fund.
- Unilever will sponsor their 4th annual "Healthy Heroes" event from Feb. 13 to 26 featuring their top brands: Hellmann's/Best Foods, Breyers, Dove, Dove Men, AXE, Suave, St. Ives, Vaseline and Q-Tips. This promotion also includes in-store demos and over 200,000 in-store coupon flyers worth $7.
"In addition to our many commissary promotions this month, don't forget Valentine's Day is right around the corner, and we have sweets for your sweetheart! Stop by your commissary and pick up all you need for a memorable home-cooked Valentine's Day dinner or dessert," Russ said. "You'll get great food at great prices, and your valentine and wallet will be happy."
For photos related to this news release, visit our Flickr page.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit and make no profit on the sale of merchandise. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. By shopping regularly in the commissary, patrons save thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America's military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.
Kevin L. Robinson
(804) 734-8000, Ext. 4-8773