Commissaries feature extra savings in May
The letter “M” is a commissary patron’s key to extra savings as the Defense Commissary Agency offers sales promotions for May events such as Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day, Military Appreciation Month and Memorial Day.
“We want to thank our military members and their family members for their dedicated service to our country and our freedom,” said Tracie Russ, DeCA’s director of sales. “And what better way to do this at your local commissary than to offer the ‘Thank You for Your Service’ sidewalk sale event.”
Throughout the month of May, the commissary’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Patrons can expect to see mass displays throughout the store as well as “end of the aisle” promotions celebrating key events in May.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
- “Thank You for Your Service Sidewalk Sale.” Commissaries worldwide are conducting this sidewalk sale through May 31. Planned in conjunction with May’s Military Appreciation Month, every commissary will have an outdoor (weather permitting) sidewalk sale, offering extra savings including special deals on some case and club pack items. Several commissaries will be partnering with their neighbor, the exchange. Check with your local commissary for specific dates and times and information on other military resale events linked to these sales.
- Cinco de Mayo. From April 24 through May 7, Old El Paso will offer savings worldwide on items from tortilla cups to grilled steak fajitas.
- VIP Race Experience. Smithfield is offering a chance to win its VIP Race Experience to stateside commissary patrons who purchase any three or more Smithfield brand products in a single transaction through May 7. Prizes include a grand prize trip to a VIP Race Experience and meeting NASCAR driver Aric Almirola. One grand prize winner will receive a three-day/two-night trip for two to the stock car race of their choice in the continental U.S., lodging, spending cash and more. In addition to the grand prize, 15 first prize winners will each receive a $50 commissary gift card. Check local store displays for details on how to enter.
- “Eggs-tra” special. Minute Maid and Kings Hawaiian is offering a joint promotion leading up to Mother’s Day, May 13. Commissary patrons will receive a coupon for a free carton of eggs with the combined purchase of Minute Maid Orange Juice 59-ounce or gallon cartons and Kings Hawaiian Dinner Rolls. Mass displays will be located near the orange juice chilled display case.
- Memorial Day Summer Grilling Contest! Kraft Heinz Company is kicking off summer by offering high-value coupons and recipes for their top brands in commissaries worldwide from May 5 to June 3. Participating brands include Kraft, Heinz, TGI Friday’s, Smart Ones, Cracker Barrel, Oscar Mayer, Velveeta and Capri Sun. Store displays will have more details.
- Supporting Armed Forces Day. Del Monte will have mass displays in commissaries worldwide promoting its 6-pack fruit and vegetable items from May 21 to June 3. Product giveaways and commissary gift cards are also part of this promotion.
- National Pet Month. From May 21 to June 3, Nestle Purina PetCare will promote an opportunity for one patron worldwide, to win a 32-inch Samsung LED TV. Look for the ProPlan mass display in your commissary for more details on how to enter this free drawing. No purchase necessary.
“We can’t thank our military members and their family members enough for all the sacrifices they make to serve our nation,” Russ said. “We encourage them to take advantage of all of the special sales events we are offering this month. They’ve earned it!”
Commissary patrons can also access the following features:
- Commissary Rewards Card, which allows patrons to redeem coupons electronically at the commissary checkout. Patrons can pick up a card at their local commissary and register, where they can log into their account to load coupons on the card before they shop;
- Commissary Nutrition Guide Program; learn more about the color-coded shelf labels that point out items with key nutrient attributes such as low sodium, whole grain, no sugar added, low fat, good source of fiber and organics;
Commissary brands now offer five product lines – Freedom’s Choice for food items, HomeBase for nonfood items, TopCare for health and beauty products, TippyToes for baby products and Full Circle Market for organic foods.