Commissaries offer fall promotions as holiday season approaches
FORT LEE, Va. – The weather will soon turn cooler in many parts of the country, but savings at your commissary are heating up for the fall season.
“As the leaves are beginning to fall, so are the prices at your commissary,” said Tracie Russ, DeCA’s director of sales. “Visit your store to find great prices on a variety of Halloween candy, seasonal savings and other promotions.”
Throughout the month of October, military commissaries are offering discounts beyond everyday savings. DeCA encourages customers to check displays at the end of the aisles, where stores showcase products with extra-low prices.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store manager to verify when they will be offering the following sales events:
- Celebrate Oktoberfest at home: Commissaries worldwide are continuing to offer promotions on German products in honor of Oktoberfest, including chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard, red cabbage and rich German coffee.
- As we set sail for Columbus Day, commissary customers will find savings on products from food brands, including Hellmann’s/Best Foods, Lipton, Pure Leaf, Magnum and Breyers, and personal care brands, including Dove, Q-tips, TRESemmé and Seventh Generation, as part of Unilever’s 22nd Annual Italian & American Festival of Savings. Promotions on display Sept. 24 - Oct. 7.
- Want to help your installation win a Monster Jam Celebration? This is the grand prize that Procter & Gamble and ProCamps will jointly offer to a winning installation, based on sales criteria. The celebration will be open to the entire community of the winning installation at no charge. Stateside and overseas installation runners-up will receive free ticket giveaways for monster truck events. P&G, USO and Operation Homefront are supporting this promotion with coupon savings for commissaries worldwide from Sept. 24 - Oct. 7.
- During Energy Action Month, commissaries will offer savings on high-efficiency (HE) or energy-efficient products. By conserving energy, these products benefit the environment and generate savings in energy costs. Promotion on display Oct. 8 - Nov. 4.
- Are you ready for some savings? Stock up for your fall football parties with the Big Game Fan Feast fall football promotion. The Kraft Heinz Company will offer $3-$5 coupons on many of its top brands to commissaries worldwide. Customers can find more information on these offers and recipes featured through in-store displays. Participating brands/products include Philadelphia cream cheese; Oscar Mayer cold cuts, hot dogs and bacon; Lunchables lunch combos; Velveeta loafs and slices; Maxwell House coffee and Planters nuts. Promotion on display Oct. 8 - 21.
- Unilever will distribute 200,000 coupon flyers to commissaries for its first annual “DeCA/Exchange Cares” promotion. The coupons in these flyers were created exclusively for commissary and exchange customers. Unilever will also donate $1 for each coupon redeemed (up to $10,000) to the Adopt-A-Soldier Platoon. Select Dove products will be on display Oct. 22 - Nov. 4.
- Exclusive Savings on Select Frozen Turkeys. Gobble up this deal before it’s gone. Commissaries worldwide will offer limited weekly quantities of frozen turkeys at 49¢ per pound. Plan ahead for your holiday meals and take advantage of these special seasonal savings while supplies last. Weekly available quantities of frozen turkeys are expected to increase closer to Thanksgiving. Promotion valid through Nov. 15; check your commissary for brand availability.
- You could have a free turkey with the 2018 Turkey Coupon Holiday Booklet at your commissary. Purchase a fresh or frozen whole turkey in the same transaction as other products featured in the booklet and you can combine the coupons from the booklet to save up to $36.75 on your turkey. Coupons valid Nov. 1 - Dec. 31; booklets are expected to be available in commissaries by Nov. 1.
“As fall begins, with the holiday season just around the corner, we want to remind you that the commissary can help bring you a taste of home, wherever you may be stationed around the world, with savings you deserve,” Russ said. “We are proud to be part of the military community, and we hope to see you at your commissary soon!”
-- By Courtney Rogers, DeCA Consumer Advocate
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.