Coppertone aerosol sunscreen sprays recalled
Coppertone is voluntarily recalling specific lots of some of their Pure & Simple SPF 50 Spray, Sport Mineral SPF 50 Spray and Travel-Size Coppertone Sport Spray products due to the presence of benzene, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent Sept. 30.
Daily exposure to benzene at the levels detected in these affected Coppertone aerosol sunscreen spray products would not be expected to cause adverse health consequences based on generally accepted exposure modeling by numerous regulatory agencies; however, Coppertone is recalling specific lots of these products to ensure any potential danger, risks, or problems are avoided.
Benzene is classified as a human carcinogen. Exposure to benzene can occur through inhalation, oral, and skin and it could, depending on the level and extent of exposure, result in an increased risk of cancers including leukemia, and blood cancer of the bone marrow and other blood disorders which can be life-threatening.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, Chief, Public Health Division, DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has recalled or withdrawn products in its inventory, they are immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products are affected by this recall:
- Coppertone Pure & Simple Baby SPF 50 Spray, 5 ounces: UPC 00072140028817 with lot code TN0083J & manufacturing date of Jan. 10; lot code TN0083K with manufacturing date of Jan. 11; and lot code TN009GH with manufacturing date of March 31
- Coppertone Pure & Simple Kids SPF 50 Spray, 5 ounces: UPC 00072140028824 with lot code TN00854 & manufacturing date of Jan. 12; lot code TN00855 with manufacturing date of Jan. 14; lot code TN00857 with manufacturing date of April 6; and lot code TN00CJV with manufacturing date of June 15
- Coppertone Sport Mineral SPF 50 Spray, 5 ounces: UPC 00072140028701 with lot code TN008KU & manufacturing date of March 15 and lot code TN008KV with manufacturing date of March 16
- Coppertone Pure & Simple SPF 50 Spray, 5 ounces: UPC 00072140028800 with lot code TN00BR2 & manufacturing date of March 31 and lot code TN00CJ4 with manufacturing date of June 15
- Coppertone Sport Spray SPF 50, 1.6 ounces: UPC 00041100005069 with lot code TN00BU3 & manufacturing date of May 6
There have been no reports of adverse effects related to this recall.
Customers should return these products to the commissary of purchase for a full refund.
Consumers with questions about this recall should call (888) 921-1537 Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. PT or visit www.sunscreenrecall2021.com for more information.