Family, friends, food: Savings, giveaways heat up for commissaries in July
FORT LEE, Va. – As the mercury rises, summer temperatures call you outside to enjoy the sun, family, food and fun. For all those July barbecues, picnics, watermelon and ice cream, there’s no better place to save than the commissary.
“July starts off with a bang,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director. “And your commissary benefit is your ticket to saving money on all the food you need for your next family gathering or unit event.”
All the promotions, sales, coupons and deals make the commissary the place to do your shopping this summer. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store managers to verify if and when their stores will be offering the following sales events:
- Commissary Beef and Pork Sizzling Summer Savings. The commissary is cutting huge deals for grill masters through Sept. 1. Check with your meat department to learn more about these sizzling offers:
- Whole Sub Primal Beef Sold at Cost – customers can save 14% to 26% on sub primal beef. Cut upon request for free
- Healthy Alternative Power Buy Box – Save 29% on 20 pounds of select cuts of lean beef and pork
- Economy Power Buy Box – Save 31% on 15 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
- Summer Tailgate Power Buy Box – Save 37% on 20 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
- Fritos and Carry the Load. Fritos salutes our nation’s heroes by partnering with the commissary and Carry the Load. Fritos will donate $100,000 to Carry the Load, a non-profit organization that honors and celebrates active duty military and veterans, first responders and their families. Fritos encourages patrons to find an event and join in honoring our nation’s heroes. Then, post a salute picture using #FritosSalutes. Look for in-store displays for details. This event runs through July 13.
- Smithfield Military Mobile Sampling Tours. For a sixth year, Smithfield is bringing its traveling events to seven military bases in California and Washington. Each base will host an event for five days. These four-hour, outdoor events let commissary patrons sample products, receive coupons and earn a free gift with purchase – a custom-branded thermal grocery bag. To receive the free bag, patrons must purchase either three Eckrich Smoked Sausage, two Nathan’s Beef Franks or two Smithfield Bacon products. Available while supplies last. Check with your commissary customer service center to confirm event participation, dates and times; event dates are subject to change. Currently scheduled events in California are at Travis Air Force Base, July 19, and McClellan Air Force Base, July 31.
- Kraft Heinz Summer Grilling Singles. Save when you buy together. Buy two packs of Kraft American Cheese Singles and save on ground beef. Look for the coupons on participating packages of ground beef. This event runs through July 4.
- Spiderman Homecoming 2. Spider-Man Homecoming 2 is coming to theaters July 5. Kellogg’s is offering a full line of collectible packaging, Spider-Man sticker inserts (scan the sticker for an augmented reality to see the world like Spider-Man does in his suit), free movie ticket offers, and savings on select Kellogg’s products: Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, Corn Pops, Pop-Tarts, Cheez-It, Club Crackers, Rice Krispies Treats, Fudge Shoppe Cookies, Sandies Cookies and Eggo Waffles. This promotion runs through July 5.
- Unilever Patriotic Festival of Savings. Unilever has significant savings on Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion, Q-Tips, Hellmann’s/Best Foods, Lipton, Knorr, Breyer’s, Magnum, Seventh Generation, Growing Roots and Maille Mustard. Also, Unilever will award $500 to 50 deserving families to help them pay down their Military Star Card balances. Look for in-store displays for details. This promotion runs through July 7.
- Oscar Mayer NASCAR Sweepstakes. The Kraft Heinz Company is partnering with NASCAR on Oscar Mayer brands to give away an all-expense paid trip for two to the Darlington, South Carolina, NASCAR race on Sept. 1 or a Race Watch Party for up to 30 people catered by the famous Weinermobile. Look for $5 off 5 coupon deals. Participating brands: Oscar Mayer Cold Cuts/Hot Dogs/Bacon/P3, Lunchables Lunch Combos, Kraft Natural Cheese, Cracker Barrel Cheese, Kraft Singles, Velveeta Slices, Breakstone/Knudsen products, Philadelphia Cream Cheese. This sweepstakes runs from July 8 to July 18.
- FANDANGO Movie Tickets with Purchase. The Second Annual Fandango Gift with Purchase is coming to the commissary in July. Stock up on participating products and earn free movie tickets toward summer movie blockbusters. Through July 15, patrons who buy any seven participating products in one transaction, take a picture of their receipt (showing the qualified items) and upload their commissary receipt to www.activaterewards.com/commissary will receive a $9 movie ticket to be used toward any summer movie in theatres while supplies last. Receipts will be accepted through July 31. The same households can submit up to three receipts during the promotional period to earn multiple rewards – maximum three per household. Participating brands: Gatorade 6-pack, 12 oz. bottles; Quaker Life Cereal, any size; Quaker Cap ’N Crunch Cereal, any size; Frito Lay Variety Sack, 18 ct.; Cheese Nips Crackers, 7-11 oz.; Ritz or Wheat Thins Toasted Chips or Ritz Crisp & Thins Snacks, 7-8 oz.; Oreo and Chips Ahoy! Cookies, 6-15.35 oz.; A.1. or Heinz 57 Steak Sauce, 10 oz.; Capri Sun Juice Drink, 10-pack; Kraft Natural Cheese (Chunk or Shredded) 7-8 oz.; Ball Park Franks, any size; Knudsen Juice, 32 oz.; Rachel Ray Nutrish Dog Food, 14 lb.; Crisco Oil, 48 oz.; Folgers Coffee, 24.2-30.5 oz.; JIF Peanut Butter, 16 oz.; and Smuckers (Jam, Jelly, Preserves, Spread) 17.25-18 oz. See store displays for more details.
- Kellogg’s, Keebler, HomeBase – Buy 3/Get 1 Free. Buy any three participating Kellogg’s/Keebler items and get a free commissary store brand HomeBase item via a coupon offer valued up to $2.50. Choose from Kellogg’s Special K Cereals, Pringles Grab and Go, Pringles Wavy, Townhouse Crackers, Mother’s Cookies, Famous Amos Cookies, Eggo Pancakes, and Eggo Toaster Sticks products. This promotion ends Aug. 4.
- Pure Savings on Purified Water. Save 15% on two cases of Freedom’s Choice purified water (24 count) of 16.9 oz. while supplies last. This promotion runs from July 22 to July 31.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.