Frito-Lay recalls some Rold-Gold products due to undeclared allergen
Frito-Lay is voluntarily recalling select Rold-Gold pretzel products after its flour supplier recalled some of its product for undeclared peanut residue, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent June 7.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Christopher Wicker, a public health advisor for DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has a recalled or withdrawn product in its inventory, it is immediately removed from store shelves.
"We have learned that the commissary carries the products listed in the recall," Wicker said. "The stores are currently pulling those items from the shelves." DeCA food safety officials are monitoring this recall for any updates.
The identifying codes for the recalled products include "Guaranteed fresh" dates ranging from June 28, 2016 - August 23, 2016 on the front of the package. Directly underneath the "guaranteed fresh" date is a 9-digit manufacturing code that includes the numbers "32" in the second and third position (example: x32xxxxxx).
The following products with the above-described "guaranteed fresh" dates and manufacturing codes are impacted:
- Rold Gold Tiny Twists, 1 ounce, 2 ounces, 16 ounces and 20.5 ounces
- Rold Gold Thins, 4 ounces and 16 ounces
- Rold Gold Sticks, 16 ounces
- Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided, 10 ounces
The Rold Gold Tiny Twists are also sold in select multipacks. The impacted multipacks have an 11-digit manufacturing code located next to the "use by" date on the front of the package that will include the letter combination AM, TO, QH, QC or SW in the second and third position (example: xAMxxxxxxxx). The impacted products have varying "use by" dates, including:
- Baked and Popped Mix, 20 count: "use by" dates from May 31, 2016 through Jul. 26, 2016
- SunChips and Rold Gold Mix, 20 count:"use by" dates from Jun. 14, 2016 through Aug. 9, 2016
- Fun Times Mix, 32 count: "use by" dates from Jun. 14, 2016 through Aug. 9, 2016
- Baked and Popped Variety Pack, 30 count: "use by" dates from Jun. 14, 2016 through Aug. 9, 2016
- Home Town Favorite Variety Pack, 30 count: "use by" dates from May 31, 2016 through Jul. 26, 2016
No other Rold Gold products or flavors are impacted. To date, Frito-Lay has received no reports of illness related to the products covered by this recall.
Customers who purchased these products at the commissary should return them for a full refund.
Consumers with questions on the recall may contact Frito-Lay consumer hotline 1-888-256-3090 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST, Mon. through Fri.