General Mills recalls Nature Valley Bars due to possible Listeria contamination
General Mills is voluntarily recalling certain Nature Valley Bars after an ingredient supplier distributed sunflower kernels that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent June 3.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, the lead consumer safety officer for DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has a recalled or withdrawn product in its inventory, the product is immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products are affected by this recall:
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar – Honey, Peanut & Almond with Pumpkin Seeds, 5 count: Package UPC 000-16000-47196
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar – Peanut, Almond & Dark Chocolate, 5 count: Package UPC 000-16000-45724
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar – Roasted Peanut & Honey, 4 count: Package UPC 000-16000-46475
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar – Roasted Peanut & Honey, 16 count: Package UPC 000-16000-41308
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar – Almond, Cashew & Sea Salt, 4 count: Package UPC 000-16000-46474
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar – Almond, Cashew & Sea Salt, 25 count: Package UPC 000-16000-41301
Customers should return this product to the commissary of purchase for a full refund.
Listeria monocytogenes may cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, the frail or elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. Healthy adults may only suffer short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listeria infections may also cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
No illnesses have been reported to date, but the illness caused by these bacteria can take up to 70 days to appear. Customers should return this product to the commissary of purchase for a full refund.
Questions about this recall can be directed to General Mills Consumer Affairs Hotline at 1-866-896-4365.