Grimmway Farms - Carrot Recall
Grimmway Farms is voluntarily recalling certain carrot products because they may have been contaminated with Salmonella, according to a recall notice from the Defense Commissary Agency’s food safety office sent July 22.
Salmonella can be potentially life-threatening, especially to infants, older people, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems. It can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella’s most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever. Salmonella’s symptoms usually develop between eight to 72 hours after consumption of the contaminated food and last about four to seven days.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, Chief, Public Health Division, DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has recalled or withdrawn products in its inventory, they are immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products are affected by this recall:
• Bunny Luv Organic Cut and Peeled Baby Carrots 1 pound bag: UPC: 033383902050, with best if used by dates of Aug. 17 and 20
• Bunny Luv Organic Premium Petite Carrots 3 pound bag: UPC: 078783513017, with best if used by date of Aug. 15
• Cal-Organic Organic Petite Carrots 12 ounce bag: UPC: 078783908103, with best if used by date of Aug. 15
• Grimmway Farms Shredded Carrots 10 ounce bag: UPC: 078783506101, with best if used by date of Aug. 09
• O Organics Organic Peeled Baby-Cut Carrots 1 pound bag: UPC: 079893408507, with best if used by date of Aug. 15
• O Organics Organic Baby Rainbow Carrots 12 ounce bag: UPC: 079893981628, with best if used by dates of Aug. 13 and 14
All of the products in this recall have a 9-character lot code beginning with 195, 196 or 197 and ending in BF or SP printed on the bag. For example, 1952023BF.
Customers should return these products to the commissary of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact Grimmway Farms customer services desk at 1-800-301-3101, M-F, 8am – 8pm ET, or visit www.grimmway.com.