Have a holly, jolly meal: Commissaries offer deep savings for holiday menus
FORT LEE, Va. – The colorful lights, the music, the decorations, the smells, the holiday movies on repeat – all converge to create a Christmas warmth within us that’s hard to describe. But the food, the Christmas dinner, is what pulls family and friends together for a festive meal.
“Whether you’re preparing the entire feast for your family or friends, or simply need to bring a dish or two to a dinner, your commissary ensures you will have a celebration with all the trimmings at significant savings,” said Tracie Russ, Defense Commissary Agency sales director.
Throughout the holidays, your commissary and its industry partners are offering promotional discounts far beyond everyday savings so that the Dec. 25th meal doesn’t empty your wallet.
By the way, before you leave for the commissary, make sure and check the “Store Information & Holiday Hours” box on your store’s webpage to confirm its operating days.
Take advantage of these savings options to warm up your holidays:
- Holiday displays at the end of your commissary aisles offer extra low pricing on themed items.
- Look for the YES! (Your Everyday Savings!) shelf label to find hundreds of popular-selling items reduced in price compared to similar products outside the gate. Not available in overseas commissaries.
- Commissary brands offer high-quality, low-cost private label options for commissary customers. Look for Freedom’s Choice, the brand for food items.
- Visit the online customer portal, MyCommissary, to view the current sales flyer and to access your Commissary Rewards Card.
- Enjoy special holiday savings of 45 percent on four 12 packs of soda only available stateside including Alaska and Hawaii, from Dec. 23 to 27.
- Check out your commissary meat department for power boxes which save you significantly on your beef and pork purchases.
- Tour the produce section of your commissary with a fresh perspective, acquainting yourself with an unfamiliar fresh fruit or vegetable to add to your holiday meal.
- Visit the recipe section online to help you with your menu planning. Click on the healthy living link to add some dietitian-approved recipes to your holiday feast.
“Your commissary offers the quality you expect and the deeper savings you deserve on all the items you will need for your holiday meals, going even further to extend your holiday spending,” said Russ. “And while you’re at it, use the money you’re saving to do your New Year’s dinner shopping as well – at the commissary.”
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.