Honoring 'our smallest heroes': During April, Month of the Military Child, commissaries offer savings promos linked to Easter, ProCamps, scholarships, more
FORT LEE, Va. – April is the Month of the Military Child, a time to show our support and thank the smallest heroes in our ranks.
“I am so happy that we are able to be a part of recognizing these children for their strength and sacrifices,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director. “They deserve the best, and the commissary and its people do an excellent job providing them with the best quality food they need to help them grow.”
There’s no time for fooling around this April with all the exclusive deals, scholarships, events, and competitions happening only at your commissary. Commissaries are in their final weeks of competition to bring home a Procter & Gamble ProCamp. And customers can still win a chance to meet Smithfield #10 stock car driver Aric Almirola, or win a trip for two to the race of their choice.
The Month of the Military Child kicks off with a coloring contest for the kids with a chance to have their picture featured on reusable shopping bags available at most commissaries. But it doesn’t stop there. Six lucky children have the chance to win a piece of a $10,000 scholarship in honor of their sacrifice as a military child.
The agency reminds customers to visit its new online customer portal, MyCommissary, to manage their online shopping experience. The portal makes it easy to access their Commissary Rewards Card account, see the current sales flyer and place a CLICK2GO curbside pickup order at participating stores.
Plus, throughout the month, military commissaries are offering discounts beyond everyday savings, especially in displays at the ends of the aisles, where stores showcase products with extra-low prices. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store managers to verify if and when their stores will be offering the following sales events:
- Month of the Military Child Coloring Contest: Eligible children can use their creative talents on the commissary coloring page and submit it using the official contest form, which also has the rules for entering. Entries must be dropped off at your local commissary. Grand prize winners will have their artwork placed on a special reusable shopping bag with the first place and honorable mention winners having their names shown as well. The competition runs from April 1 to 30.
- Military children scholarships: Nabisco® and Coca-Cola® are teaming up to help you help them. Military patrons can text to win scholarships for their children including one $5,000 scholarship or one of five $1,000 scholarships. Look for the purple and red Nabisco and Coca-Cola displays for details on how to enter and win. This event runs from April 1 to 30.
- Easter recipes and hot coupon deals: Kraft Heinz® is offering exclusive $3 or $5 coupon deals for Easter on many of its top participating brands along with recipes. This event runs from April 8 to 21.
- Keebler Annual Hollow Tree Sales Event: Keebler™ is proud to sponsor the Annual “Hollow Tree” sales event. Coupons will be available for free milk when four Keebler cookies are purchased. Many stores will have cookies and milk demos. This event runs from April 8 to 21.
- Win a VIP Race Day Experience: Commissary shoppers can still enter to win a chance to meet Smithfield #10 stock car driver Aric Almirola. This grand prize includes a three-day/two-night trip for two to the race of their choice in the continental United States, hotel stay, spending cash, a personal meet-and-greet with Almirola and more. To enter for a chance to win, text “DECA” to short code 797979 using your SMS-enabled cellphone, along with a photo of your receipt from a commissary showing the purchase of any three or more Smithfield brand products in a single transaction during the sweepstakes period. In addition to the grand prize, 15 first-prize winners will each receive one $50 commissary gift card. Look for Smithfield displays at your local commissary. To participate and read the official rules, visit www.SmithfieldDeCASweeps.com. The sweepstakes run from March 4 to May 5.
- ProCamps for Kids Competition Continues: Procter & Gamble, in collaboration with ProCamps, is sponsoring a free military athletic camp for winning bases worldwide, and every commissary has a chance to win. So get into your local commissary where you’ll find the P&G and ProCamps for Kids displays for details on how to enter and win. The competition ends April 7.
- Sidewalk Sales: All commissaries worldwide will have a multiday outdoor sidewalk sale offering extra savings including special deals on some case- and club-pack items. Several commissaries will partner with exchanges for certain promotions linked to this event. Patrons are encouraged to check their store’s web page for sale dates, hours and details. This event runs from April 16 to May 31.
“The commissary is committed to putting our service members and their families first and providing quality products at competitive prices,” O’Neal said. “Our patrons can provide feedback by following us on any of the social media platforms, or completing the survey at the bottom of their receipt. As always, we look forward to hearing from you.”
Note: See video on DeCA’s YouTube page related to the Month of the Military Child.