I.M. Healthy SoyNut Butters and Granola recalled over E. coli concerns
The SoyNut Butter Co. is voluntarily recalling all varieties of I.M. Healthy SoyNut Butters and I.M. Healthy Granola products because they may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent March 8.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall notice to all its stores, said Richard Stith, the lead consumer safety officer for DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has a recalled product in its inventory, the product is immediately removed from store shelves.
"We have learned that the commissary carries some of the products listed in the recall," Stith said. "The stores are pulling those items from the shelves." DeCA food safety officials are monitoring this recall for any updates.
The following products are affected by this recall. All "best by" dates and all varieties are recalled. Varieties of SoyNut Butter include Original Creamy, Chunky, Honey Creamy, Unsweetened and Chocolate. The granola is available in Original, Apple, Blueberry, and Raisin and Cranberry varieties. "Best by" dates are stamped in silver or black on the product label.
- I.M. Healthy Original Creamy SoyNut Butter, 15 ounces: UPC 654989910104
- I.M. Healthy Original Creamy SoyNut Butter, Individual Portion Cup: UPC 654989800108
- I.M. Healthy Original Creamy SoyNut Butter, 4 lbs: UPC 654989800016
- I.M. Healthy Original Creamy SoyNut Butter, 45 lbs: UPC 654989800030
- I.M. Healthy Honey SoyNut Butter Creamy, 15 ounces: UPC 654989940101
- I.M. Healthy Unsweetened Creamy SoyNut Butter, 15 ounces: UPC 654989930102
- I.M. Healthy Chocolate SoyNut Butter, 15 ounces: UPC 6549890970108
- I.M. Healthy Original Granola, 12 ounces: UPC 654989400353
- I.M. Healthy Original Granola, 50 ounces: UPC 654989400278
- I.M. Healthy Original Granola, 25 lbs: UPC 654989400254
- I.M. Healthy Original Granola, 1.25 ounces: UPC 654989400018
- I.M. Healthy Apple Granola, 12 ounces: UPC 654989400377
- I.M. Healthy Apple Granola, 25 lbs: UPC 654989400230
- I.M. Healthy Apple Granola, 1.25 ounces: UPC 654989400032
- I.M. Healthy Blueberry Granola, 12 ounces: UPC 654989400384
- I.M. Healthy Raisin and Cranberry Granola, 12 ounces: UPC 654989400360
- I.M. Healthy Raisin and Cranberry Granola, 1.25 ounces: UPC 654989400025
Infection with E. coli can result in dehydration, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps two to eight days (three to four days, on average) after exposure to the organism. While most people recover within a week, some develop a type of kidney failure called HUS, Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome.
HUS can occur among persons of any age but is most common in children under 5 years old and older adults. Symptoms of HUS may include fever, abdominal pain, pale skin tone, fatigue, unexplained bruises or bleeding from the nose and mouth, decreased urination, and swelling. The condition can lead to serious kidney failure and even death.
Persons who experience these symptoms should seek emergency medical care immediately. Sixteen illnesses have been reported with five confirmed cases of HUS.
Customers should return these products to the commissary for a full refund.
Consumers with questions on the recall may contact The SoyNut Butter Co. at (800) 288-1012, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST.