May is Military Appreciation Month at the commissary
FORT LEE, Va. (April 21, 2016) – Commissaries are offering special savings in May with case lot events and promotions celebrating Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day, Military Appreciation Month, Memorial Day and more.
“We can’t thank our service members and military family members enough for all they do to preserve our rights to freedom and maintaining the security of our nation,” said Tracie Russ, director of sales for the Defense Commissary Agency. “We encourage them to take advantage of all the special sales events we’re offering this month. They have earned it!”
As shoppers prepare to hit their commissary for discounted items, they can also check out www.commissaries.com for Rewards Card coupons, the commissary’s sales flyer and a list of Value Brand items designed to offer savings lower than or equal to commercial stores’ private label products. Also, the Exclusive Savings page, has more coupons, specials, promotions, sales and healthy recipes.
DeCA’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries in May to offer discounts beyond everyday savings.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
Note: For a video about May promotions, visit DeCA’s YouTube page at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Ay5i7lszM&feature=youtu.be.
- Customer Appreciation Case Lot Sale. Stateside commissary patrons can save up to 50 percent on products sold in case formats similar to commercial club stores. Dates and locations are now available online on the Case Lot Sales page. This year the case lot sale is expanded into June. Commissaries in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico are also participating. Commissaries in Europe and the Pacific, while not officially participating, may have substitute events such as sidewalk sales.
- So many tacos, so little time. Old El Paso offers savings worldwide from April 25 to May 8 on products from tortilla cups to grilled steak fajitas.
- Summer grilling savings. Beginning May 1, stateside commissaries (to include Alaska and Hawaii) will offer a Memorial Day weekend grilling coupon booklet worth over $17. The coupons, effective May 1 - June 30, offer commissary patrons extra savings on their weekend holiday essentials when purchasing fresh, store-processed beef and fresh pork. The booklet is sponsored by Kraft, Heinz, Kellogg’s, Frito Lay, Johnsonville and Rice-A-Roni/Pasta Roni. Limited quantities will be available.
- “Celebrating Our Heroes.” Acosta Military will donate to the Fisher House a portion of the proceeds from the sale of participating brands from May 9 to June 5. Coupon flyers in commissaries worldwide will describe the program. A Fisher House offers temporary, free lodging for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers. The homes are normally located within walking distance of the treatment facility or have transportation available.
- “Honoring Our Heroes.” Gatorade is honoring military members during this worldwide contest from May 1 to Aug. 28.Here’s how: Commissary patrons can go to www.gatorademilitary.com and explain in 200 words who they feel deserves to win this contest. Potential honorees can include active and veteran military patrons, spouses, their families, friends, neighbors or organizations that benefit the military community. There are eight grand prize levels featuring cash and Commissary Gift Cards. Each participant who submits an essay online will get a free Gatorade product commissary coupon as a special thank you. In addition, all winners will be recognized at their commissary and on www.gatorademilitary.com. Check out displays in commissaries for more details.
- The Summer S’mores event is hosted from May through September by Hershey’s Milk Chocolate, Honey Maid Grahams and Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows. Military-specific instant redeemable coupons and in-store displays will be available.
- Dr Pepper and Mott’s participating brands are sponsoring a special “Summer Grilling Giveaway” promotion worldwide from May 9 to 22. Commissary patrons can enter to win a Weber Kettle charcoal grill. Dr Pepper and Mott’s displays will have contest entry forms and product discounts.
- “Outnumber Hunger” is a partnership event between Feeding America®, Big Machine Label Group and General Mills dedicated to the fight against hunger. From May 9 to 22, commissary patrons can participate by entering a code listed on specially marked packages of General Mills items. For each code entered General Mills will direct five meals to a local food bank. See General Mills displays in your store for more information.
- Race with Royalty Sweepstakes! From April 24 to June 18, Smithfield is promoting a sweepstakes awarding a grand prize of two tickets to the NASCAR race of the winner’s choice, transportation costs, VIP experience at track (driver meet and greet; garage tours) and 15 secondary prize winners ($50 Commissary Gift Cards). Look for displays in select stateside stores featuring Smithfield franks, bologna, bacon and smoked sausage. Commissary patrons are automatically entered to win after purchasing three qualifying items and using their Commissary Rewards Card.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit and make no profit on the sale of merchandise. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. By shopping regularly in the commissary, patrons save thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America's military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.
Kevin L. Robinson
(804) 734-8000, Ext. 4-8773