Military Saves Week: Commissaries support focus on financial readiness
FORT LEE, Va. – This time of year many of us make resolutions centered around financial goals. The Military Saves Week campaign, Feb. 25 - March 2, can help service members, military families and DOD civilians with a plan to save money, reduce debt and build wealth, contributing to their financial success.
As a campaign partner, the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) is an important ally for you to become financially fit. Not only will you find significant savings in your commissary every day, the benefit offers additional ways to stretch your grocery budget even further.
- Your Everyday Savings! (YES!): Your commissary is rolling back prices daily on hundreds of the most frequently purchased popular brands. Look for the bright, orange YES! shelf labels in your commissary aisles for deep savings.
- Commissary Rewards Card: Download digital coupons right to your card and save at the register. Don’t have one yet? Ask a cashier for one during your next visit, then visit DeCA’s website to register your card. Then it’s as simple as scroll, click and save.
- Print Coupons: Before your commissary trip, visit the Savings Center on DeCA’s website to find resources with lots of printable coupons. Already at the store? Take advantage of a wide variety of coupons displayed throughout the commissary.
- Sidewalk sales: Held twice a year, these events offer extra savings on selected products including some case and club-pack items. Watch DeCA’s website for your store’s sales weekend.
- Commissaries.com sales flyer: Before visiting the store, view the sales flyer on the website while making your shopping list to ensure maximum savings. You can also sign up to have the flyer sent to your email.
- Commissary store brands: Your commissary offers high-quality, low-cost private label choices on food and non-food items, healthy, organic products, and baby and child care solutions to provide even greater savings. Look for DeCA’s Freedom’s Choice or Home Base products along with other private label items such as TopCare, Full Circle Market, Tippy Toes and Flock’s Finest.
- Thinking Outside the Box recipes: Dietitian-approved recipes are featured on DeCA’s website for quick, healthy and economical meal ideas. A new recipe is featured twice a month under Healthy Living. The stores feature ingredients for these healthy monthly recipes at extra savings. Patrons can also see new dietitian-approved recipe posters appearing in commissaries worldwide.
“The commissary benefit is designed to save you money on your grocery and household purchases, helping to create more room in your budget to meet your saving goals,” said Tracie Russ, DeCA’s director of sales. “We encourage you to take advantage of the invaluable resources on MilitarySaves.org to use those savings to build a nest egg, reduce your debt, and boost your investments.”
The Military Saves campaign – part of the nonprofit organization America Saves – seeks to persuade, motivate and encourage service members, military families and DOD civilians to save every month to strengthen their finances. Customers can join the campaign via MilitarySaves.org to take the savings pledge, download the digital toolkit and receive valuable savings strategies.
Note: See video on DeCA’s YouTube page related to Military Saves Week.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.