September savings: Commissaries offer seasonal deals to expand benefit
FORT LEE, Va. – Commissaries are offering significant savings with worldwide back-to-school sidewalk sales, and promotions linked to football, Oktoberfest and other events in September.
“As we approach the end of summer it’s important to note that the commissary has sales promotions that offer discounts well beyond our normal everyday savings,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director. “Labor Day is one more opportunity to pull out that barbecue grill, so check your store for spectacular sales on meat and anything else you need for a wonderful holiday menu.”
Throughout September, commissaries will offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Patrons should check the ends of the aisles in their stores for themed items with extra low pricing. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store for details or visit their store page on the DeCA website to verify what’s available. Here are a few ongoing and upcoming promotions:
- Labor Day soda sale. This special promotion is offering all 24-pack sodas priced at 2/$10 (Alaska: 20-pack sodas priced at 2/$8) in support of Labor Day. Special pricing is effective from Aug. 29 to Sept. 2.
- NEX Labor Day bounce back. Select commissaries are offering a $5 “Bounce Back” coupon to customers who spend $50 or more in a single transaction at a participating commissary through Sept. 4. The coupon can be redeemed at any Navy Exchange (NEX) toward a purchase of $25 or more through Sept. 4. Coupon limited to one time use only in-store and online per customer. This event ends on Sept. 4
- Sidewalk sales. DeCA’s Sidewalk Sales event continues through September. Weather permitting, commissaries will have one event – a two- or three-day outdoor sidewalk weekend sale (a maximum of four days) – offering extra savings including special deals on some case- and club-pack items. Patrons are encouraged to check their store’s web page for sale dates and hours and more details. In addition to the case lot formats like those found in commercial club stores, commissary sidewalk events also offer additional “mix and match” packages of similar items in bulk-size cases. This event runs until Sept. 30.
- “Back to School Bonanza – Text-to-Win.” Enter for your chance to win a $25 commissary or exchange gift card from MyMilitarySavings.com. Shoppers can only enter the sweepstakes in-store. Look for in-store displays for details on how to enter. Promotion runs through Sept. 8.
- AXE and Unilever “Back To School” DeCA Only Sweepstakes. Enter the Back-to-School Sweepstakes for a chance to win the Ultimate Electronics Grand Prize Package or one of more than 90 other prizes. Prizes include laptops, tablets, portable music players and gift cards. Visit www.operationintouch.com and enter to win. Promotion runs through Sept. 15.
- Commissary beef and pork summer savings. The commissary has extended the beef and pork summer savings package for another month. Check with your meat department to learn more about these sizzling offers:
- Whole Sub Primal Beef Sold at Cost – customers can save 14% to 26% on sub primal beef. Cut upon request for free
- Healthy Alternative Power Buy Box – Save 29% on 20 pounds of select cuts of lean beef and pork
- Economy Power Buy Box – Save 31% on 15 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
- Summer Tailgate Power Buy Box – Save 37% on 20 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
- General Mills’ “Back to School with Box Tops for Education.” General Mills school fundraising program is back in commissaries worldwide. Each product box top collected is worth 10 cents, and many General Mills items will have double box top value during the month. Patrons will see high-value coupons, in-store product demonstrations and decorative mass displays. This promotion runs through Sept. 8.
- Kellogg’s and “Feeding the Reading” Program. Kellogg’s is offering savings on leading back to school brand favorites and free books with qualifying purchases. Visit the Kellogg’s Family Rewards website for details on the free book give away. Promotion runs through Sept. 8.
- Kraft Heinz “Back to School and Labor Day Free Groceries” program. Enter for a chance to win one of eight commissary gift cards (six stateside/two overseas) valued at $2,500. Visit the Kraft Heinz website for official rules on how to enter. Promotion runs through Sept. 22.
- Coleson’s Catch. Continue to save up to 45% on Coleson’s Seafood products during the 20th anniversary of Coleson’s “Big Catch” promotion.
- Enter to Win a Weber ® Grill. Bonus coupon savings on the following great brands: Hormel’s, Chi-Chi’s, Ziploc, Monster, Sabra, and Sargento. Look for in-store displays for more information on how to win a Weber ® grill. This promotion ends Sept. 22.
- Kellogg Crystal K. Kellogg will provide 150,000 military-specific coupon flyers (Save $2 off fruit or milk with the purchase of any two Special K products). These valuable coupons will be distributed in the store. This ends Oct. 6.
- Monster Jam Celebration. Commissary customers can help their community win an on base Monster Jam Celebration by purchasing select Proctor & Gamble products from Sept. 23 to Oct 6. P&G working with ProCamps, will offer a “Monster Jam” celebration for a winning military installation as part of P&G’s “Start Strong/Stay Strong” cause platform. There will be three to five grand prize winners and those installations will receive a family-fun Monster Jam celebration. There will be no charge to military families to attend. The event will include a monster truck and driver, and Monster Jam activity stations. Activities may also include a coloring station, temporary tattoo station, a sand pit for kids to play with toy monster trucks, balloon tying and face painting to list a few of the activities during the event. Check your local commissary for details. Purchase window is Sept.23 to Oct. 6.
- Taco Night. Receive a dollar off when you buy two Taco Bell items. Coupons are located in the store. This savings window runs from Sept 23 to Oct 6.
- Text-To-Win $25 gift Card. In honor of our veterans MyMilitarySavings.com is sponsoring a “Text-to-Win” opportunity for a $25 Commissary or Exchange gift card. Commissary customers can find details at the commissary. This program results in a $2,500 donation to the Fisher House Foundation which builds comfort homes where military and veterans’ families can stay free of charge, while a loved one is in the hospital. Contest begins on Sept. 23 and ends Nov. 3.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.