Shopping for Thanksgiving: More commissaries will open on Monday before the holiday
FORT LEE, Va. – More commissaries will be open the Monday before Thanksgiving, the Defense Commissary Agency announced.
The announcement means that many of the commissaries, normally closed on Mondays, will be open on Nov. 19, expanding available shopping hours for patrons preparing for their holiday meals. Patrons are reminded to check the “Store Information & Holiday Hours” box on their store’s webpage for operating schedules.
“To help make life more convenient and beneficial for our military and their families, we’re opening more of our stores an extra day leading into the Thanksgiving holiday,” said Tracie Russ, DeCA’s director of sales.
“It's not too late to save significantly on the big meal by purchasing that .49 cents a pound frozen turkey and thawing it for the holidays,” she added. “As the military’s full service grocer we have everything you want for a holiday meal.”
Russ reminds patrons that the following special promotions and online programs are available to help them maximize their benefit over the holidays:
- Commissaries worldwide are offering limited weekly quantities of select frozen turkeys at 49¢ per pound.
- Through Dec. 31, commissaries worldwide are offering 12-page Holiday Turkey recipe/coupon booklets with coupons toward a fresh or frozen whole turkey purchase (combine all coupons for a savings of more than $35). The coupons provide shoppers significant savings or free turkeys when purchasing holiday meal essentials from top brands.
- Patrons can go online for DeCA’s Thanksgiving game plan which features traditional recipes from commissaries.com, a convenient commissary shopping list, a step-by-step meal game plan and recipe options with ingredient lists, for all that left-over holiday turkey.
- Celebrate the Holidays with General Mills. General Mills wants to help you prepare to make holiday memories by offering Holiday Bake Centers, high-value coupons and in-store giveaways at select commissaries. Promotion valid through December.
- Patrons who use their MILITARY STAR® card through Dec. 31 will be automatically entered to win the “Your Holiday Bill is on Us” sweepstakes. Five grand prize winners will receive an account credit for the entire balance on their MILITARY STAR® cards; 10 shoppers will win a $1,000 account credit and 25 shoppers will win a $500 account credit. Minimum value of each grand prize: $2,500.
“We encourage patrons shopping for their Thanksgiving meal to use everything the commissary offers to help them make their holiday menu a success,” Russ said. “Before you go to the store, remember to go to our website for ingredient lists and recipe ideas. Shop early and avoid the crowds.”
-- By DeCA Corporate Communications
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.