SIZZLING SAVINGS: Commissary customers can see deep discounts on meat as they fire up their BBQ grills
FORT LEE, Va. – As commissary customers head to their grills in May during National Barbecue Month, the Defense Commissary Agency offers significant savings on their meats, sauces, condiments, side dishes, aluminum foil and pans, charcoal briquettes and more.
“Before you fire up the barbecue, don’t forget the savings – as much as 30 to 40 percent or more on the meats at the commissary,” said Darrell Clary, DeCA’s category manager for meat. “You cannot beat that deal.”
Clary advises customers to consider some of the commissary’s most popular items sold during grilling season such as ground beef and hamburger patties, steaks (T-bones, rib eyes, sirloin), baby back and spareribs and brisket.
For specific promotions related to the grilling season, commissary patrons can also access the DeCA website and check out the Savings Center for current promotions, featured recipes, “Your Everyday Savings” items, the current sales flyer, commissary store brands and digital coupons with the Commissary Rewards Card. Customers should also look for any sales at their local commissary for deals on top of everyday meat savings, Clary said.
Ongoing meat-related promotions include the following:
- Fresh meat savings through Power Box purchases. Commissary customers can save up to an additional 25 percent on the following beef and pork packages. Check with your meat department to learn more about these sizzling offers:
- Tailgate Special Power Box offers about 19 pounds of different cuts of beef and pork – 80-81 percent lean fresh beef patties, USDA Choice strip loin steaks (NY Strip) and pork baby back ribs (about two slabs)
- Economy Power Box offers about 15 pounds of different cuts of beef and pork – 85 percent lean ground beef, boneless center cut pork chops, boneless pork tenderloin, USDA Choice bottom round roast or steaks, USDA Choice top round beef cube steaks
- Healthy Alternative Power Box offers about 16 pounds of different cuts of beef and pork – 93 percent lean ground beef, USDA Choice Top round Kabobs, USDA Choice top round, London Broil, USDA Choice top round stir fry, boneless center cut pork chops, Choice top sirloin steak
- Fix it and Forget It Power Box offers about 15 pounds of different cuts of beef – USDA Choice chuck roast, USDA Choice top round stew meat, USDA Choice top round, London Broil, 80 percent lean ground beef chili meat
- Win a new grill. Through May 31, authorized customers, 18 and older, can enter a raffle at their local commissary for a chance to win a Weber Grill compliments of the commissaries’ industry partners. Contest Rules: One raffle submission/entry per person. One bonus submission/entry per person via photo with grill, Commissary patrons are to submit through Facebook, @CommissaryShopper, Instagram, @CommissaryShopper or Twitter, @CommissaryShop. Winners will be selected at random and notified by June 1. Maximum amount of winners is set at 100.
- Organic meat savings. Deal of the Week promotions will be available in stateside stores, including Alaska and Hawaii. Stores will be promoting organic tenderloins, ribeye and striploins while quantities last.
- Commissary Store Brand promotions. Throughout May, stateside stores only, Freedom’s Choice products will be on sale while supplies last: 48-ounce ice cream varieties; 4-pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast; 16-ounce bottled dressings; and 12-ounce Pasta Shells & Cheese and Mac & Cheese Deluxe Dinners.
“With the extra money you save at the commissary, you might want to check out a new barbecue grill at your local military exchange store,” Clary said. “Just another reason why shopping your commissary and exchange is worth the trip to the installation.”
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.