'Spring savings': March sales promotions offer commissary customers plenty of extra discounts for frozen foods, nutritious meals, snacks for hoops viewing parties
FORT LEE, Va. – As winter gives way to spring, commissary customers will see significant savings with March sales promotions linked to Frozen Food Month, National Nutrition Month, St. Patrick’s Day, NFL ProCamps, the college basketball playoffs and more.
“March is a busy time for commissaries, and that’s good news for customers who want to save more on frozen food, snacks and whatever menu you’re planning for your college basketball tournament watch parties,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director. “Besides the everyday savings, our customers gain from the ancillary benefits available through our industry partners in the way of giveaways and promotional events.”
With March being National Nutrition Month, customers can shop their commissary for plenty of nutritious choices, said DeCA Health and Wellness Program Manager Deborah Harris, MPH, RD, CDE (Masters of Public Health, registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator).
“A full library of dietitian-approved recipes is available on commissaries.com to help plan your meals, improve the nutritional quality of your diet, and get the most out of your commissary benefit,” Harris said. Patrons can also use the website to learn more about the Nutrition Guide Program and Thinking Outside the Box recipes under the Healthy Living link.
Speaking of nutritious meals, there’s also a dietitian-approved recipe for pressure-cooked corned beef and cabbage just in time for St. Patrick’s Day.
Patrons are also reminded to check the ends of aisles in their store for themed items with extra low pricing. Commissary customers can save even more time and money by accessing the current sales flyer on the DeCA website.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store for details or visit their store page to verify what’s available.
Here are a few March promotions to consider for extra commissary savings:
- General Mills “Salute to Savings.” This promotion features high value in-store coupons and premium giveaways. Promotion goes from March 1-31.
- Welcome Home Veterans Text-To-Win Giveaway. MyMilitarySavings.com is sponsoring a “Text-to-Win” opportunity for a $25 commissary or exchange gift card to welcome home the disabled veterans now able to take advantage of their expanded military resale shopping privileges. Commissary customers can find details at the commissary. Promotion goes from March 1-31.
- White Castle/Palermo – Buy 2, Get 1. Look for the in-store coupon offer for a free White Castle four-pack or six-pack ($3.19 value) with the purchase of any two Palermo’s Primo Thin Pizzas. Promotion goes from March 1-31.
- ProCamps for Kids. Procter & Gamble, in collaboration with ProCamps, is sponsoring two-day football camps in partnership with the Defense Commissary Agency and the exchange services for winning military bases worldwide. The camps, led by NFL football players, are open to first through eighth-grade children of active duty military, reservists, retirees and DOD civilian employees. Installations qualify for a camp based on sales of designated P&G products at their local commissaries and exchanges, and customers can also vote online and through mobile texting from March 16 to April 12. These camps will be hosted by NFL players such as Alejandro Villanueva, Kyle Rudolph, Andre Roberts, Graham Gano, Christian McCaffrey and Tyler Eifert among others. Campers experience various skill development stations to learn football fundamentals, participate in games and competitions, and receive coaching from the NFL player on the finer points of the game and more. Campers also receive camp packs containing autographed cards, team photo, limited edition ProCamps t-shirt, backpack, water bottle and P&G product samples. Look for the P&G and ProCamps for Kids displays in your local commissary for details on how to enter and win. Customers can also look for the latest information about ProCamps on the DeCA website. Promotion begins March 16 and ends April 12.
- Smithfield – Race to the Table. One lucky commissary shopper could win a grand prize including a trip to a race and a meet and greet with Smithfield No. 10 car driver Aric Almirola. One grand prize winner will receive a three-day/two-night trip for two to the stock car race of their choice in the continental United States, hotel stay, spending cash, a personal meet-and-greet with Almirola and more. To enter for a chance to win, text “DECA” to short code 55678 using your SMS-enabled cellphone along with a photo of your receipt from a commissary showing the purchase of any three or more Smithfield brand products in a single transaction during the sweepstakes period. In addition to the grand prize, 15 first prize winners will each receive one $50 commissary gift card. Look for Smithfield displays at your commissary. Go to the Smithfield website to learn more the official rules. Coupons will also be available in CONUS commissaries, value $3 when you buy three participating Smithfield products. This promotion begins March 2 and ends April 26.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.