Summer savings sizzle at your commissary
FORT LEE, Va. (May 26, 2016) – Not just for Flag Day on June 14 or Fathers' Day on June 19, but for every day in June commissaries are stocking the products their customers need at special promotional prices.
That's what Tracie Russ, director of Sales for the Defense Commissary Agency is saying about the promotional lineup for June. Each month, commissaries collaborate with their industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – to offer discounts and special events to help patrons maximize their benefit.
"By now everyone is planning their summer vacations," Russ said, "so we're encouraging customers to go to the Savings Center section and Exclusive Savings pages on and enter to win any of the fabulous trips being offered throughout the summer."
June is also the second month of the Commissary Customer Appreciation Case Lot Sales, available at stores throughout the United States. Dates and locations are available on the Case Lot Sales page. Commissaries in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico are also participating. Commissaries in Europe and the Pacific, while not officially participating, may have substitute events such as sidewalk sales.
Patrons can also check out Commissary Rewards Card coupons, the commissary's sales flyer and a list of Value Brand items designed to offer savings lower than or equal to commercial stores' private label products. Also, the Exclusive Savings page, has more coupons, specials, promotions, sales and healthy recipes.
Shoppers can also check what's on the "end of the aisle" for themed items with extra low pricing. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store manager to verify when they will be offering the following sales events:
- Kellogg's Special K cereal, Special K bars, Special K crackers and Raisin Bran cereal are sponsoring "Uniquely Strong," the 2016 Spring Adult Fitness program which focuses on women's health, worldwide through June 6. The program features coupons to save $2 on milk or fruit. There's also a contest to win free athletic gear ($100 value). Also, available is a $3-off produce coupon on the purchase of three of the designated Special K items on promotion. See store displays for more details.
- From Memorial Day to Independence Day, NASCAR and its participating partners Coca-Cola and Mars are offering a NASCAR-themed contest for commissary shoppers in the states. They can enter the 2016 Win a Trip to Sprint Cup Series Champions Week™ Sweepstakes for a chance to win an all-expense paid trip for two to the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion's Week™ in Las Vegas. Authorized commissary shoppers can enter the sweepstakes online at www.ChampionsWeek2016.com or by texting "NASCARSALUTE" to 313131.
- The 7th Annual "Red White & Blue Reunion" contest is taking place stateside through July 15. Commissary patrons can enter to win a family vacation to one of America's National Parks by submitting a short essay on "Why My Family Should Win a Trip to a National Park." More than 125,000 in-store (over $6 savings) coupon booklets will be distributed stateside featuring savings on many top Unilever Brands. There will be five grand prize trips awarded. Winning entries will receive an all-inclusive family vacation to one of America's National Parks valued at up to $10,000 each. Also, 10 winners will be awarded Commissary Gift Cards. Sweepstakes information is available in stateside commissaries. Winners will be announced on www.operationintouch.com.
- Smithfield's Sweepstake is offering Rewards Card patrons a chance to win a Race Day Experience. Through June 18, patrons who purchase three Smithfield products in a single transaction with their Commissary Rewards Card will be automatically entered into the sweepstakes. In addition to the grand prize, there will be 15 first place winners of a $50 Commissary Gift Card. This promotion is open to commissary patrons in the continental U.S. only. For more details, visit the Rewards Card login page.
- General Mills is offering its annual "Sandsational Savings" program, worldwide, from June 6 to July 3, featuring recipe ideas, high-value in-store coupons and giveaways. Look for store displays.
- The Summer Smores Event is hosted worldwide through June by Hershey's Milk Chocolate, Honey Maid Grahams and Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows. See store displays for military-specific, instant redeemable coupons.
- Dr Pepper and Mott's present "The Secret Life of Pets" plush toy giveaway from June 20 to July 3 in participating commissaries. These plush toys are based on the characters from the upcoming movie of the same title. See store displays for details and savings on Dr Pepper and Mott's products.
"Summer is a great time of year to get outdoors and hike, bike and barbecue, but it can also be a little tricky health-wise," Russ said. "Commissaries have plenty of sunscreen, bug repellant, first aid kits, and lots and lots of water to keep you and your pets hydrated."
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit and make no profit on the sale of merchandise. Authorized patrons purchase items at cost plus a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. By shopping regularly in the commissary, patrons save thousands of dollars annually. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America's military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.
Kevin L. Robinson
(804) 734-8000, Ext. 4-8773