A taste of home: Commissaries offer special savings on holiday meal essentials
FORT LEE, Va. – In 13 countries around the world, commissaries are gearing up to offer the military community a taste of home for the holiday season.
“Whether you’ll be celebrating the holidays while stationed abroad or at home with your loved ones, visit your commissary for the ingredients you’ll need to cook up holiday memories flavored with the familiar tastes of home,” said Tracie Russ, Defense Commissary Agency director of sales.
Throughout November, military commissaries are offering discounts beyond everyday savings, including special holiday deals. DeCA encourages customers to check displays at the end of the aisles, where stores showcase products with extra-low prices.
Commissary patrons are also reminded that MyCommissary is the place to manage their online shopping experience. The dashboard makes it easy to access their Commissary Rewards Card account, see the current sales flyer and access CLICK2GO participating stores. All users, including current rewards card users, must create a new account on the site to access its features. Both the rewards card and MyCommissary account can be linked using an existing rewards card number. For rewards card users, simply click on “My Coupons” and then click “Go to My Wallet” to access your rewards card coupons.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store manager to verify when they will be offering the following sales events:
- Unilever will distribute coupon flyers offering about $5 in savings for its “DeCA/Exchange Cares” promotion. Unilever will also donate $1 for each coupon redeemed (up to $10,000) to the Adopt-A-Soldier Platoon. Select Dove products will be on display through Nov. 4.
- For its first “Veterans Day Commemoration,” Unilever will distribute flyers and will also donate $500,000 to the Fisher House Foundation in honor of veterans. Select Suave products will be displayed on commissary end caps Nov. 5-18.
- Wake Up to Breakfast with Quaker. This promotion will feature great deals on select Quaker breakfast products and place high-value coupons in commissaries for additional savings on the purchase of multiple items, so you can stock up while supplies last. Promotion valid Nov. 5-18.
- Celebrate the Holidays with General Mills. General Mills wants to help you prepare to make holiday memories by offering Holiday Bake Centers, high-value coupons and in-store giveaways at select commissaries. Promotion valid through December.
- Exclusive Savings on Select Frozen Turkeys. Commissaries worldwide are offering limited weekly quantities of frozen turkeys at 49¢ per pound. Plan ahead for your holiday meals and take advantage of these special seasonal savings while supplies last. Weekly available quantities of frozen turkeys are expected to increase closer to Thanksgiving. Promotion valid through Nov. 15; check with your commissary for brand availability.
- You Could Win the “Home for the Holidays” Sweepstakes. Use your MILITARY STAR® card at least once at any exchange and once at any commissary Nov. 1-15, and you could be one of five shoppers to win $5,000. And, as a bonus, you’ll automatically be entered in the “Your Holiday Bill is on Us” sweepstakes.
- Every time you use your MILITARY STAR® card from Nov. 1 through Dec. 31, you’ll automatically be entered to win the “Your Holiday Bill is on Us” sweepstakes! Five grand prize winners will receive an account credit for the entire balance on their MILITARY STAR® cards; 10 shoppers will win a $1,000 account credit and 25 shoppers will win a $500 account credit. Minimum value of each grand prize: $2,500.
- You could have a free turkey with the 2018 Turkey Coupon Holiday Booklet at your commissary. Purchase a fresh or frozen whole turkey in the same transaction as other products featured in the booklet and you can combine the coupons from the booklet to save up to $35.75 on your turkey. Coupons valid Nov. 1 through Dec. 31; booklets are expected to be available in commissaries by Nov. 1.
“We strive to provide the service, selection and savings our military customers deserve to help them make holiday memories that will last a lifetime,” Russ said. “This is a benefit that you’ve earned through your service, so always remember that we are here to support you.”
-- By Courtney Rogers, DeCA Consumer Advocate
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.