- 8 oz. fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- Sprinkle the sliced ginger with salt; stir to coat; and, let stand for 40 minutes.
- Place the ginger in a clean, sealable jar.
- In a saucepan, stir together the vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and then bring this mixture to a boil.
- Pour this boiling mixture into the jar containing the ginger. Make sure that all the ginger is covered by pushing the ginger down, if necessary.
- Let the mixture cool and then place the lid tightly on the jar. (The liquid will change to a slightly pink color.)
- Store the ginger in the refrigerator for at least one week. Do not open the jar!
- The ginger is ready to be consumed after one week.