- 1 loaf French bread (approx 12 oz) cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- garlic flavored seasoning spray
- 1 1/2 lbs (about 5 med) tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, fresh, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves)
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs.
- Place bread slices on large baking sheet; spray with seasoning spray for a total of 5 seconds. Turn bread; spray again with for 5 seconds.
- Broil, turning once, until bread is golden brown on both sides. Cool on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, place tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Spray seasoning into mixture for 15 seconds; toss to blend ingredients.
- Spoon mixture onto bread slices; serve immediately.
- Bread slices may be prepared up to 24 hours ahead.
- Watch bread closely while broiling to prevent overbrowning.
- After cooling, wrap loosely in foil.
- Purchase tomatoes on the vine for best color and flavor.
- Use fresh basil for best flavor.
- Use disposable baking sheet for easy cleanup.