Canned Chicken Salad Sandwich - Yes Way!
Macros / Serving Size
Protein 26.48 g | Fat 13.46 g | Carbs 32.21 g
% Calories of Macros / Serving Size
Calories 355 | Protein 30 % | Fat 34 % | Carbs 36 %
Nutrients / Serving Size
Fiber 6.26 g | Sodium 755.59 mg | Sat. Fat 2.61 g
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 10 oz. canned chicken, drained
- 1 medium celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 small dill pickle, chopped
- 3 tbsp. nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ small avocado, mashed
- 2 tbsp. sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp. golden raisins (optional)
- 1 tbsp. red onion thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- Lettuce and tomato to top (optional)
(No Cooking, 10 - minute prep)
- Using the mixing bowl, add all the ingredients, less the sliced bread. Gently toss until well blended. If the salad is a bit too thick, add a little more Greek yogurt.
- Serve immediately by placing ¼th of the mixture on one slice of bread, top with desired vegetable toppings such as lettuce, tomato, or sprouts. Top with another slice of bread.
- To complete the meal, serve the sandwich alongside a piece of fresh fruit or a tossed leafy green salad.
- Toasting the bread before assembling adds another texture to this meal that can make it even more enjoyable.
- Make this in advance and let it set in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to blend.
- Consider using the salad to top a bed of leafy greens drizzled with Italian dressing.
- Rather than use bread, consider serving this in a pita and adding cucumber.
- Once made, keep the salad in the fridge for a quick after school snack, served alongside a few whole wheat/grain crackers and provolone cheese. The chicken salad will keep 2-3 days if covered and stored in the fridge.