Cheesy Chorizo Bean Quesadilla
- 9 ounces ground turkey (97% Lean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (Plus 1 additional teaspoon)
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, raw, minced
- 1/4 cup Onions, raw, chopped
- 1 cup Kale, raw, chopped
- 8 ounces Beans, Pinto, canned, drained
- 6 ounces Cheese, low-fat, cheddar
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 1/4 12" Tortilla
- Chorizo mixture: Mix the first 9 ingredients in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. CCP: Hold at 41°F or lower.
- In a skillet heat the oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onions and saute until soft. Add the Chorizo mixture, saute until the turkey is browned and reaches 165°F. CCP: Heat to 165°F for at least 15 seconds
- Stir in chopped kale and drained beans to the Chorizo mixture until the kale begins to wilt and mixture reaches 155°F. CCP: Heat to 155°F or higher for at least 15 seconds
- Remove mixture from the heat, fold in shredded cheese and fresh cilantro. Divide mixture evenly (approx 2 cups) over 1-12" tortilla. Place another 12" tortilla on top.
- Place on sheet pan sprayed with pan spray or lined with parchment paper. Note: For 6 servings you will need to use 1/5 of two 12" tortillas to make the sixth serving.
- Bake at 400°F in an oven until crisp, approx. 7-10 minutes. Cut the quesadilla into five equal sized wedges. CCP: Heat to 165 degrees or higher for 15 seconds.
- Optional serve- 1 quesadilla wedge with 1 oz. fresh lettuce and 1oz. fresh diced tomatoes. CCP: Hold at 140 degrees or higher.
- Serving Tips: We've added pinto beans, "A Fiber All Star," loaded with lots of good vitamins and minerals, and kale, which is a vegetable super power. It also has everyone's favorite: low-fat cheddar cheese. This combination is spread onto a flour tortilla and served piping hot. You won't be disappointed with this healthy version of a quesadilla. It will make your mouth water and your heart sing!