Chicken and Asparagus Bundles
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4-oz. Swiss cheese, shredded
- 16 asparagus stalks,
- Salt (optional)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
Directions: Preheat oven to 400
- Wash the asparagus and cut off the hard end of each stalk (about 1 inch from the end). Discard the hard ends. If desired, lightly season the stalks with salt and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into a total of 12 nearly even sized strips.
- Flatten the strips by placing 3-5 strips between two pieces of plastic wrap and then gently pound using the side of a canned product such as (canned green beans). Repeat until all 12 slices are flattened.
- Place the strips in a large bowl and then add the garlic powder, lemon pepper seasoning and olive oil. Toss gently to evenly coat.
- Prepare the bundles by lying 4 strips of the flatten chicken in a row, sprinkle each strip with a little cheese and then placing a bundle of 4 stalks of asparagus on top of the strips. Wrap the ends of each chicken strip around the bundle of asparagus and then secure with a tooth pick.
- Repeat step 4 until bundles are built.
- Place the bundles on a foiled lined baking tray and begin baking in the oven for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes turn the oven to broil and broil for an additional 1-2 minutes. Watch closely so the chicken doesn’t burn. The chicken is finished when the juices run clear and it has reach a temp of 165 degrees. Remove from the oven and let the bundles rest 5 minutes before serving.