Chunky Chicken Chili
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1½ cups frozen lima beans
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 28-30 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 28-30 oz. kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz. chicken broth
- 14 oz. corn, undrained
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- ⅔ cups skim milk
- Microwave, covered, the frozen lima beans with ½ cup of water for 8-10 minutes.
- Cut the boneless, skinless chicken breast into bite-sized chunks. In a very large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and then add chicken. Stir to brown the chicken.
- After about 2 minutes, add the following to the pot: stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, chicken broth, corn (undrained), and the microwaved lima beans.
- Bring this mixture to a mild boil and add the chili powder and minced garlic. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- While the chili is simmering, in a medium bowl, mix 2 cups of biscuit mix with ⅔ cup of skim milk.
- Turn the chili back up to medium-high heat. To make the dumplings, once the chili begins to boil, quickly drop the wet biscuit mixture by small spoonfuls into the boiling chili. Reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for an additional 10 minutes (or until the dumplings look fluffy and are cooked through).
- Serve ⅙ of the chili in a bowl alongside a piece of fresh fruit.
- This chili tastes even better the next day, so carry a serving to the office for lunch. Freeze the remaining chili in single-sized portions for a quick go-to lunch or freeze all of the remaining chili for a quick go-to meal later in the month.