Classic American Goulash
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 lb. lean ground meat (turkey, pork, or beef)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 8 oz. package elbow macaroni, whole wheat
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 medium-sized yellow squashes, sliced
- In a large sauce pan, cook the meat and onions over high heat for about 8 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink, drain. Be sure to stir frequently to prevent the onions from burning.
- While the meat is cooking, wash and dry the squash. Cut each squash lengthwise and then slice each piece to make ¼ inch pieces.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil. Stir in remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the macaroni is tender. Throughout the cooking, quickly stir every couple of minutes to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve immediately by evenly dividing the goulash between four plates.
- Double the recipe and freeze half of it for a quick meal a couple of weeks later. Jest place it in the microwave, with a damp paper towel over the frozen goulash and microwave for two minutes to thaw. Stir, cover, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until heated through.
- Change up the spices by adding cumin or curry instead of the chili powder.
- Add ¼ tsp. of crushed red pepper in step 3 to add a bit of spicy hot to the dish
- Consider topping with a bit of your favorite shredded cheese, about 1 oz. per serving. Just remember this does add calories.