Crab Cakes and Salad
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. seafood seasoning
- 2 1/5 tbsp. finely minced onion
- 3 tbsp. panko crumbs
- 12 oz. crabmeat
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. mixed salad greens
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 cup dried fruit
- 1 avocado
- 1-2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 large egg, 2 ½ tbsp. mayonnaise, 2 tsp. seafood seasoning, and 2 - 3 tbsp. of very finely minced onion. Whisk the items together until the egg is well blended.
2. Add to the mixture: 3 tbsp. of panko crumbs and 12 oz. of crabmeat that has been drained and flaked (gently broken apart).
3. Gently fold ingredients together.
4. Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Quickly form 4 equal sized crab patties.
5. Add the patties to the oil and cook each side until lightly - golden browned (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
6. Remove the patties from the pan and let rest on a paper-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
7. Quickly toss together, 10 - 12 oz. bag of mixed salad greens with 2 celery stalks, sliced, ½ cup dried fruit, chopped (use your favorite, like raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc.).
8. Peel and mash 1 avocado, mix with 1-2 tbsp. vinegar (balsamic works best) and 2 tbsp. olive oil, and then drizzle and toss into the leafy green mix.
9. Serve each plate with 1 crab cake and 1/4 the leafy salad.
Tips: Try serving the crab cake on a whole wheat bun. Spice things up by adding a little hot sauce. To make the cakes a bit fluffier, whisk 1 egg white until soft peaks form and fold the egg white into the mix in step 2.