Cranberry Turkey Sandwiches
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 12-16 oz. of cooked sliced turkey (leftover from Thanksgiving works great)
- 12 oz. cabbage, cut into thin shreds
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. cranberries
- 1 cup 100% cranberry Juice
- 1 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- Zest from a whole lemon
- Make the slaw by mixing together the vinegar and oil. Place the shredded cabbage in a medium-sized bowl and toss in oil and vinegar mixture. Cover and set aside for the flavors to blend.
- Make the cranberry sauce by pouring all the ingredients in a medium-sized sauce pan and bring the mixture to a boil while stirring. Once at a rolling boil, turn the heat down to medium low and cook for about 10 more minutes until the sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Assemble the 4 sandwiches by placing ¼ of the meat on the bottom of each bun, then top with some of the cranberry sauce, and then ¼ of the slaw.
- Substitute with 8 slices of whole wheat bread for the whole wheat buns.
- Substitute 1/3 cup of honey or 1/3 brown sugar for the maple syrup.
- Substitute the juice and zest with a lime for the lemon.
- Store the extra cranberry sauce in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Use it as a snack by spreading some cream cheese on whole wheat crackers and then topping with a dab of the sauce.