Crispy Skinned Baked Potato Pierogi Style
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 medium-sized baking potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup prepared sauerkraut
- 1 cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
Directions (Preheat Oven to 400 degrees)
- Clean each potato by gently scrubbing with a vegetable brush under running water. Pat each potato dry using a clean towel.
- Brush each potato lightly with some olive oil to cover the skin and then pierce each potato deeply with a fork about 4 times on each side.
- Using the remaining olive oil, lightly grease a baking sheet and then lightly sprinkle half the salt onto the pan.
- Place the potatoes on the sheet and then sprinkle the tops with the remaining salt. Place the potatoes in the oven on the middle rack and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the pan and slice each down the middle, being sure to not cut all the way through. Using a fork, gently fluff some of the flesh of the potatoes to loosen. In the following order top each potato with ¼ of the following ingredients: Sauerkraut, cheese, plain nonfat Greek yogurt, and the green onions.
- To make this dish a meal, consider 1-2 oz. of cooked lean meat (ground meat or chicken breast) to the toppings and the serving it alongside a leafy green salad or steamed broccoli.
- These potatoes make for great office lunches and reheat well. Hold off on putting the Greek yogurt on them until after they are reheated and then top with the yogurt.
- Use the technique in steps 1-4 to make a batch of baked potatoes for your family and then have a dinner night by creating your own potato bar by having choices for toppings such as salsa, cheese, drained kidney beans, steamed spinach or broccoli, etc. Keep the calories in check by going light on the cheese.