Double A Brownies (Avocado and Applesauce)
Ingredients (serves 20)
- 1 18-18.5 oz. box fudge brownie mix
- 1/3 cup avocado, mashed
- 1/3 cup no sugar added applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
Directions (Preheat oven to 350 degrees F)
- In a large mixing bowl, mash a ripe avocado with ¼ cup water until completely smooth. Add the egg whites, egg, and applesauce. Mix well.
- Pour the brownie mix into another mixing bowl and make a well. Pour the mixture from step 1 into the well and stir until blended.
- Pour the brownie batter into a lightly greased (with olive oil or cooking spray) 13x9x2 pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 24-26 minutes.
- Although brownies, for the most part would not be considered a dietitian approved food, the concept of building a healthy eating pattern where foods can fit is what dietitians promote. There can be room in most eating patterns for a sweet treat here and there. The key to developing healthy eating patterns is to watch the portion size and to work to reduce the amount of added sugars and saturated fat as much as possible.
- The easiest way to include the occasional indulgence in a healthy eating pattern is to make them at home so you can control the portion sizes and swap out ingredients to lower the saturated fat and added sugar. For example, use two egg whites instead of one whole egg, use an equal amount of avocado in place of butter, use applesauce or mashed banana in place of the sugar or half the oil or butter.