Easy Unrolled Stuffed Cabbage Skillet Dinner
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, turkey, or pork
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- Dash of salt
- 1 tbsp. and 1 tsp. finely minced garlic, or 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 3/4 of medium head of green cabbage, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14-15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Begin cooking the instant brown rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add the diced onions with a dash of salt. Continue cooking. Stir occasionally until the onions are tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add the ground meat to the skillet to brown, stirring occasionally. Cook until there is barely any pink color present in the meat.
- Add the spices to the cooked meat and mix well. Add the diced tomatoes and sauce, along with 1/2 cup of water. Once the sauce begins to bubble, add the chopped cabbage and cook for 3-5 minutes covered until the cabbage begins to wilt and shrinks in bulk. Turn the heat down to medium add the rice, stir gently, and cover. Cook until the cabbage is very tender (12-15 more minutes), stirring every 3/5 minutes. Remove the cover and sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese. Do not stir. Keep the cover off and continue cooking on low until the cheese melts and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese is a tasty substitute for the cheddar. To save on calories and fat, consider omitting the cheese.