Favorite Vegetable Soup
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 7 cups peeled, chopped fresh tomatoes or 2 (28-ounce) cans no salt added diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt added cut green beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can no salt added peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can no salt added corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place ground chuck in a 2-gallon stockpot and brown over medium heat. Remove meat and drain well. Wipe drippings from pot.
- Return meat to stockpot; add tomatoes and water. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until tomatoes are soft and a juicy broth is created, about 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, and continue to simmer 60 additional minutes to allow flavors to build.
Yields: 8-10 Servings
Nutrition Analysis: Per 1 1/2-cup serving:
- calories: 172
- total fat: 1.5g (.7g sat fat)
- cholesterol: 15mg.
- sodium: 195mg.
- carbohydrate: 30g. ( 6g. dietary fiber);
- protein: 10g.