Gouda-Turkey Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 medium, fresh jalapeno peppers
- 4 oz. low fat cream cheese, softened
- 6 oz. cooked turkey burger, crumbled
- 4 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, shredded, or sharp cheddar cheese,
- shredded 6 slices of bacon (turkey bacon works too)
- Line a plate with a paper towel; place 6 slices of bacon on the plate; cover, and microwave for 3 minutes. (Do not cook it to crispy.) Set aside and let cool.
- Using gloved hands, cut peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and membranes (be careful not to touch your face our rub your eyes). Set the seeds and membranes aside.
- Cook the peppers in boiling water 5 minutes (spicy) or 10 minutes (mild). Drain well and set aside.
- Combine the cheeses with the cooked ground turkey and the reserved seeds. Spoon the mixture into the pepper halves. Wrap each pepper half with ½ slice of bacon. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and bake in 400F oven for 5-8 minutes or until the bacon has started to crisp and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and let the peppers cool for 10 minutes before consuming.
- To decrease the spiciness of the peppers, mix in less or none of the reserved seeds and membranes.
- Try using other types of cooked meat, or leaving the meat out altogether, and mixing in cooked bacon to the cheese, and then filling the peppers.