Grandma's Butternut Squash and Beef Stew
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 lb. sirloin steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ½-3 lbs. butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 oz. tomato paste (half of a small can)
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- Place the stew meat in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and garlic. Gently toss.
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Once the oil reaches temperature, add the onions and cook for approximately 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add the stew meat and sear the sides to help lock in the flavor.
- Add the squash, carrots and broth then cover and cook until slightly tender.
- Add the tomato paste and the chili powder and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Consider serving stew over brown rice or whole wheat egg noodles.
- If you want to add some noodles, then add two additional cups of broth and whole wheat egg noodles to step 4.
- If you have leftover squash that didn’t make it in the stew you can sprinkle them with cinnamon and cook in the microwave the next day for a tasty snack.
- Freeze the remaining tomato paste for a later use or add it to spaghetti sauce later in the week.