Grandma's Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 14.5 oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 14.5 oz. can slices carrots
- 14.5 oz can no salt added green beans
- 14.5 oz no salt added stewed tomatoes
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 oz. whole wheat or vegetable pasta
- In a large sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Once the oil is heated, add 1 medium onion (diced). Cook until the onion is tender, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 lb. of lean ground beef (90% lean) or ground turkey to the pot and cook until the meat is browned.
- Add to the pot a 14.5 oz. can of the following: low sodium beef broth, sliced carrots (drained), no salt added green beans (drained), and no salt added stewed tomatoes.
- Add 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp. of dried basil, and 2 oz. of whole wheat or vegetable pasta (any shape).
- Reduce the heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes to blend the flavors and for the noodles to become tender. Stir occasionally.
- Serve 1/6th of soup in a deep bowl alongside a wedge of whole wheat/grain bread for dipping. For a little something sweet, consider eating a 1 oz. piece of dark chocolate or a handful of frozen grapes for dessert.
- Portion out the leftovers into single serving containers and carry the soup to lunch or freeze it for another time.
- Try whole wheat saltine crackers in place of whole wheat bread. Keep sodium and calories in check by only eating 6-7 crackers.
- Try substituting other lean meats like diced chicken breast in place of ground meat or using 20 oz. of low sodium kidney, beans (drained).
- When introducing your toddler to bread products for the first time, consider only introducing whole wheat/grain varieties.