Grandma's Hamburger Vegetable Soup
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 14.5 oz. can low-sodium beef broth
- 14.5 oz. can sliced carrots
- 14.5 oz. can no salt added green beans
- 14.5 oz. no salt added stewed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 oz. whole wheat or vegetable pasta, any shape
- In a large sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is heated, add the onion. Cook until the onion is tender, stirring constantly.
- Add lean ground beef or ground turkey to the pot and cook until the meat is browned. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Reduce the heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes to blend the flavors and for the noodles to become tender. Stir occasionally.
- Serve ⅙ of the soup in a deep bowl alongside a wedge of whole wheat/grain bread for dipping.
- For a little something sweet for dessert, consider pairing with one piece of dark chocolate or a handful of frozen grapes.
- Portion out the leftovers into single serving containers and carry the soup to lunch or freeze it for another time.
- Try whole wheat saltine crackers in place of whole wheat bread. Keep sodium and calories in check by only eating 6-7 crackers.
- Try substituting other lean meats like diced chicken breast in place of ground meat or using 20 oz. of low-sodium kidney, beans (drained).
- When introducing your toddler to bread products for the first time, consider only introducing whole wheat/grain varieties.