Grilled Flank Steak with a Balsamic Touch
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 16-20 oz. flank steak
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
- Place the flank steak into the mixing bowl and toss a few times to coat with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and let marinate for 2 hours, but no more than 4 hours.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator and remove from marinade. Allow the steak to marinate at room temperature on a plate for 10 minutes, covered.
- In the meantime, heat the grill to moderate heat.
- Place the steak on the heated grill, close the lid, and grill for 4 minutes. Open the lid, flip the steak, and baste the top with marinade from the mixing bowl. Close the lid and grill for 4 more minutes. Open the lid, flip the steak, baste and grill for 4 minutes.
- Open the lid and check the temperature by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the steak. The steak is cooked to medium when the heat reaches 140 degrees, or for medium rare, 130-139 degrees F. Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook, flipping and basting in two-minute intervals until the steak reaches desired doneness.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, slice the steak into thin strips against the grain (perpendicular to the long strands of muscle).
- Consider topping with Strawberry Mango Salsa.